Lead UX Researcher | 31403
Staff (Lead) UX Researcher
Work matters. It’s where we spend a third of our lives. And the workplace of the future is going to be a great place.
We’re dedicated to bringing that to life for people everywhere. That’s why we put people at the heart of everything we do. Join our team and inspire digital transformations by creating new and compelling experiences for Global 500 companies – enabling people around the world to get more done, faster than ever before!
ServiceNow is a global company that builds global products. What makes us great is the collective minds of diverse individuals within the Experience Organization, contributing to building innovative software that make workflows smarter. We embrace representation from all backgrounds and cultures to help propel passion and innovation in everything we do.
This role is part of the Experience Organization, made up of passionate people who work together to drive user research, UX and visual design, technical writing, prototyping (and more!) with the goal to create best in class enterprise software products.
What you get to do in this role:
- Represent the needs of ServiceNow customers or partners and their end users associated with ServiceNow's products, competing products, or future concepts.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders including designers, other researchers, and product managers to identify objectives, goals, timelines and research execution plan.
- Work directly with external vendors to procure research sample, research reports, and partner on research projects as needed.
- Execute various types of primary research and analysis, from early discovery, usage and needs, through product design validation.
- Apply appropriate research techniques and methods for the specific project. Methods such as individual customer interviews, focus groups, diary studies, journey mapping, user flows, information architecture definition, wireframing and others to aid in the formulation of insights that improve product functionality and user experience.
- Develop strategic research plans including discussion guides, contingency plans and other instruments from rough outline to the final version.
- Partner closely with Product Management to influence product strategy and roadmaps with validated user research findings.
- Collaborate on feature definition and user story creation as needed.
- Work collaboratively inside a cross-functional team, effectively integrating your research into the product definition and design phases.
- Influence architectural design tasks such as user flows, information architecture definition, wireframing, etc. with the aim of communicating design opportunities to the broader Design and Product teams.
- Text analysis and coding of open-end responses which might include product feature requests, problem reports, discussion forums, and community discussions.
- Analyze and synthesize data in order to generate strategic and tactical insights with actionable recommendations that drive product improvements, innovations, and customer experience improvements.
- Prepare reports of findings, create PowerPoint and Excel reports, explaining methods used and insights learned, and presenting research results to key stakeholders and leadership (C-Level, director level).
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
- 7+ years of direct experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in user experience, product, customer, or academic research. Preferably for product development purposes.
- Proven history of independently defining, planning and executing research strategies including defining objectives, goals, timelines and ability to select the appropriate methodology for the project. This includes developing sample plans and designing data collection instruments.
- Advanced knowledge of several data collection methods (either qualitative or quantitative) and fundamental knowledge of mixed methods.
- Can quickly understand customer needs, taking the initiative to interact with customers, managing expectations, responding to their requests, and communicating feedback in a simple, clear, and concise manner.
- Demonstrates confidence in the data collection process which is evidenced by the ability to naturally engage users and in the aptitude to respond with insightful follow-up questions which increases richness of research data.
- Knowledge of user interface design principles, usability evaluation techniques, perception, cognition, task analysis, experimental design and fundamental knowledge of statistics to best inform useful and usable recommendations.
- Exceptional written and oral communication abilities. Can prepare reports of findings, illustrating research data graphically and translating complex findings into written text. Experience working with and presenting research results to executive leadership (C-Level, director level).
- Willing to be proactive and take initiative to learn about ServiceNow products and customers.
- Ability to work independently on complex projects requiring frequent problem solving and critical thinking.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Experience working with Enterprise IT software (e.g., ServiceNow, Microsoft, Oracle, Salesforce, PeopleSoft), ideally a background in Application Platform as a Service (PaaS) or Software as a Service (SaaS) applications.
- Expertise in one or more of the following product spaces: IT Security Management, IT Operations Management, Security Operations, HR Service Delivery, Customer Service Management (CSM), or Finance & Legal.
- Awareness of Mobile and web application design experience across various platforms (iOS, Android, Windows) including demonstrating an understanding of responsive web design.
- Advanced degree in the Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, or other related degrees.
What we would love to see from you before or during an interview:
- An inspiring portfolio representing the process you follow to build Insanely Great Experiences
- Demonstration of any accessible projects you have built
- We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and a professional atmosphere. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers in the business.
- Up to 20% annually
- Experience facilitating workshops
- Expertise in one or more of the following enterprise product spaces: IT Security Management, IT Operations Management, Security Operations, HR Service Delivery, Customer Service Management (CSM), or Finance & Legal
- Experience in compliance to WCAG 2.0/2.1 AA guidelines
We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits, and an exciting, start-up atmosphere. We are a collaborative and merit driven team, where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers while working with advanced technology and a talented development team, come join us!
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.