Product Counsel | 21202
Santa Clara, CA
ServiceNow is changing the way people work. With a service-orientation toward the activities, tasks and processes that make up day-to-day work life, we help the modern enterprise operate faster and be more scalable than ever before.
We’re disruptive. We work hard but try not to take ourselves too seriously. We are highly adaptable and constantly evolving. We are passionate about our product, and we live for our customers. We have high expectations and a career at ServiceNow means challenging yourself to always be better.
We are seeking an outstanding product attorney with 5+ years of experience in product counseling to join our dynamic legal team. The successful candidate will report to the Senior Manager, Legal Counsel on the legal team responsible for technology transactions and product development support in the IP group. The position will be primarily responsible for advising on and negotiating technology transactions, open source software compliance, copyright registrations, and export compliance guidance, in addition to general product development and release matters. The position requires a team player who will provide careful work product with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, high-energy environment. The position will be located in Santa Clara.
What you get to do in this role:
- Providing practical legal advice and support on business matters in a fast-paced environment.
- Work cross-functionally with business, operations, and other partners to further the Company’s position as a leader in the industry.
- Maintaining a high level of professionalism and outstanding business judgment and an innovative approach to legal issues in support of strategic business initiatives and objectives.
To be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
- Undergraduate and law degrees from highly regarded schools.
- Current member of a state bar.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department of a technology company advising clients in the full range of product development matters, such as privacy, export compliance, copyright registration, open source licensing, and general intellectual property and licensing matters.
- Experience in negotiating technology transactions and IP-related legal issues in complex commercial transactions.
- The ability to independently investigate and understand new technologies and functionality, and communicate the results of that investigation to teams outside of engineering.
- Comprehensive understanding of the enterprise IT industry, particularly with regard to cloud computing and software businesses.
- Highly motivated and positive professional with a desire to make a positive impact within a quickly growing organization.
- Self-starter able to prioritize workload to set goals and meet deadlines in a fluctuating and sometimes ambiguous business environment.
- 3+ years of experience from the in-house legal department of a technology company.
- Substantive expertise in intellectual property law and experience negotiating complex global agreements, including technology partnerships, software licensing, SaaS subscriptions and marketing.
- Substantive experience in privacy counseling.
- Experience with global copyright registrations.
- Experience with supporting export compliance matters and filings.
- A technical background, such as IT, programming or software engineering experience.
- A love of learning new things, great judgment and a sense of humor.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at (408) 501-8550, or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.