Principal Software Engineer | 23893
Job Title: Principal / Distinguished Software Engineer
Location: San Francisco, CA
Work matters. It’s where we spend a third of our lives. And the workplace of the future is going to be a great place. We’re dedicated to bringing that to life for people everywhere. That’s why we put people at the heart of everything we do.
People matter. Our people have a passion for learning, building, and innovating. Whether you’re an engineer, a sales professional, a finance professional, or anything in-between, our roles aim to provide each person with meaningful impact and plenty of space to grow.
Our team owns how customers, partners and our peers create, bundle, install, update, upgrade and patch applications on our platform. We build the Now Platform’s capabilities for Application Install and Upgrade, Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), DevOps, and platform upgrade. Our work is critical to the productivity of our customers and our partners, and for that reason it has C-suite visibility.
We own of key building blocks of our customers’ and partners’ development process, including source control integration, static analysis tooling, our customer-facing automated testing framework, and the engine that installs and upgrades everything from a hotfix to a store application to a multi-family-jump platform upgrade.
We take pride in our ability to deliver critical features regularly to a customer base who expect flawless execution. We innovate so that ServiceNow and its customers can deliver new features and applications into production quickly and safely.
Our team is growing explosively and needs someone who can ensure consistent technical excellence across multiple teams sited in multiple offices around the country. It also needs a technical leader who can build and sell its vision to the larger engineering organization.
Our team needs a proven technical leader who can:
- Provide technical guidance to multiple teams in multiple geographies across a portfolio of important features
- Collaborate with other key technical leaders to harness their passion and ensure a coherent application design evolution strategy
- Roll up their sleeves and build critical infrastructure needed to ensure successful delivery
- Grow the entire team’s ability to execute technically
What you get to do in this role:
- You get to provide technical direction to multiple engineering teams
- You will partner with other technical leaders to ensure consistent technical leadership and adoption of best practices across the entire development organization and platform ecosystem
- You will identify and mitigate technical risk in projects with C-suite visibility
- Where you see the need, you will personally design and code key code components
- You will mentor junior engineers and the organization’s next generation of technical leaders
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
- A master’s degree in Computer Science plus 15 years’ experience as a software engineer, or equivalent
- 10+ years’ experience scaling web applications built in Java on top of a relational database
- A proven track record providing technical leadership across multiple engineering teams
- Strong Java programming skills
It also helps if you have:
- Experience building enterprise software
- Experience with building source control integrations, continuous integration (CI) systems, continuous delivery (CD) pipelines, and/or DevOps pipelines
EEOE Statement Section
ServiceNow’s EEOE statement is automatically added to each U.S. based job description.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at (408) 501-8550, or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.