Medical Director - Hospice
SoutheastHEALTH Hospice and Palliative Care, Cape Girardeau, Missouri
- Skilled team-oriented BE/BC Hospice and Palliative Care Medical Director
- Provide clinical services that reflect the organization’s philosophy and mission; to provide dignity, compassion and comfort.
- Provide home care with objective data for meeting the criteria for medical interventions as outlined in the policies and procedures of Southeast Home Health/Hospice, MCR, State and Joint commission guidelines.
- Work in a collaboration with interdisciplinary team to:
- Improve overall care and experience for both patients and their families
- Provide extra layer of support to hospitalists, specialists, and other providers
- Deliver care that offers patients relief from symptoms, stress of serious illness
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Guaranteed Competitive Base Salary + wRVU-based Productivity Incentives
- $30,000 Signing Bonus
- Relocation Assistance
- $200,000 Student Loan Repayment
- 6 weeks Paid Time Off
- Medical Malpractice
- Full Benefits, including: Health, Dental, Vision, FSA & 403 (b) options
- Sub Specialty and Mid-Level Support
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Medication review and oversight.
- Participate in and provide oversight of the Palliative Care consultation service.
- Responsible for the overall medical component of the care and treatment of terminally ill patients and their families.
- Provides palliation and management of terminal illness conditions related to the terminal illness.
- Collaborates with the patient’s attending physician to develop and update the patient’s plan of care and ensure pain and symptom management and control.
- Serves as a medical resource to hospice, home health, palliative care team, patients, families and attending physicians regarding pain and symptom control management.
- Demonstrates knowledge in communications and counseling patient and family in dealing with end of life issues.
- Participates in resolution of interpersonal conflict and issues of clinical and ethical concerns.
- Documents care provided in the medical record providing evidence of progression of the end-stage disease process.
- Reviews patient’s clinical information before certifying and recertifying terminal illness and provides written certification as appropriate levels of care as per standards.
- Completes and /or ensures Face to Face visits are completed prior to recertifying hospice patients as per standards.
- Utilizes electronic death registry system to complete death certificates promptly.
- Maintains accurate and timely computer documentation in the EMR to include visits, signing orders, IDG and phone calls.
- Demonstrates knowledge and support of agency’s safety policies including patient safety.
- Interpersonal interactions. Demonstrates understanding of team approach and communication.
- Performs in-home, nursing home, and inpatient/respite visits for hospice patients and sees palliative care inpatient consults.
- Contributes to a positive atmosphere, demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service skills.
- Patient education related to pain and symptom management.
- Patient advocacy. Ability to work with diverse social and economic situations without imposing own values. Maintains appropriate professional boundaries.
- Policy and procedure development, review and approval.
- Staff, physician and community education. Act as a liaison to physicians in the community and provides for consultation and education to colleagues related to admission criteria for hospice and palliative care.
- Contributes to agency committees Policy and Procedures, Ethics and Quality Improvement.
- Participation in Hospice IDG and collaborates with the Hospice team to ensure that the medical needs of the patient are met and providing oversight of the plan of care.
- Community physician liaison.
- Handle phone calls from staff and prescription needs.
- On call responsibility 24/7 for nursing staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Hospice “Elite” status 2019 and 2020 for patient/family satisfaction
- Designated as Missouri Level I STEMI Center & Level II Stroke Center
- Joint Commission accredited Hospice Agency
- Southeast Hospital is licensed for 244 beds
- Over 2,400 employees
- TJC accredited and serves a population of 675,000 in a five-state area
- Members of Centers to Advanced Palliative Care and National Hospice and Palliative Care
- Largest cardiothoracic surgery program between St. Louis and Memphis
- Network of more than 50 care locations in 13 communities, including hospitals, primary and specialty care clinics representing over 30 clinical specialties.
- More details at www.sehealth.org
CAPE GIRARDEAU CULTURE:
- Located on Interstate 55, it is 1.5 hours (118 miles) south of St. Louis, MO and 2.5 hours (172 miles) north of Memphis, TN, with a population of about 40,000
- Lively downtown area featuring local shopping and delicious cuisine
- Excellent Public & Private School Options
- Home to Dalhousie Golf Club - ranked #1 course in Missouri per Golf Digest
- Located on Mississippi River with Scenic Overlooks & Hiking Trails
- Family Aquatic Center, Children’s Museum, Trampoline Park
- Performing Arts, Art Galleries, Shopping, Fine Dining & Antiques
- Spas, Casino, Wineries, Microbreweries & Seasonal Farmers Markets
- View more about our community at capechamber.com