Senior Art Director
This is a unique opportunity to define the artistic vision of an exciting new project. We are looking for an experienced Senior Art Director to join a new team, to push the boundaries of expectation and to create unforgettable experiences. The project is based at our headquarters in Horsham, in the heart of West Sussex, however this role may be based either in Horsham, or at CA North in Newcastle, UK. This can be discussed upon application.
As the Senior Art Director you will be key to define, visualise, direct and champion the art vision, while leading and further building our growing Art team. Working closely with the Executive Producer, Creative Director and the Design Director, the Senior Art Director will be responsible for defining and delivering the artistic vision of the game by unlocking the team's creativity and thrive for exceptional visual quality while keeping them in balance with the other aspects of our project.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
This role is Hybrid and has an expectation of 1 day every 2 weeks in our Horsham studio. This role would consider fully remote working in exceptional circumstances. Further details can be discussed during the recruitment process.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Define, visualise, direct and champion the art vision
- Direct and lead the creation and delivery of all visuals of our game to an extremely high standard
- Set goals, visual benchmarks, and standards as the line manager of our artists
- Champion efficient use of modern technologies and approaches, to make the art creation efficient and performant
- Support the team to thrive and grow, to enable them to perform at the peak of their ability
- Contribute to the wider franchise and Studio wide actions.
- Gains energy and is excited by the challenge of creative, artistic, and interpersonal problem solving
- Passionate about unlocking the potential of our artists
- Works closely with art, creative, engineering and production directors to deliver on the player experience and game's vision, both in time and on quality
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal at every level, between different departments and across distinct locations.
- Demonstratable experience leading art direction and art production of AAA titles
- Strong team development skills with proven experience leading art teams to meet goals in time and on quality
- Able to direct an entire team, ensuring the quality and style are consistent
- Deep and broad knowledge of current content creation landscape - from tools to best practises
- Deep and broad experience of commercial game development tools and engines
- Worked closely with peers to align on and take advantage of engine technical strengths
- Understands continuous improvement and able to evaluate and solve process inefficiencies.
- Broad knowledge and interest in all things visual
- Formal art training with strong traditional art skills
- Portfolio of personal work
- A body of professional work spanning across multiple titles and genres.
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for six consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.