Functionality QA Lead
SEGA Centre of Excellence Sofia is dedicated to serving SEGA’s Development teams in providing quality, timely, and effective QA services. The Centre is based in Business Park Sofia, nearby Mladost 4 district.
We cultivate diverse, creative QA talent with a network of studios across Europe, US and Canada.
Synonymous with quality, our world-class development studios include Sports Interactive, Creative Assembly, Hardlight, Amplitude, Relic Entertainment and Two Point Studios. We assist all studios with publishing QA and validation functions. We support the needs of the development studios and make the creative vision become a reality. Today we’re building a highly successful team that is dedicated to driving the continued success and evolution of our European business. Check out our web site to find out why we are a workplace you’ll never want to leave!
To plan, implement, direct and refine testing strategies in conjunction with the management. The Functionality QA Lead actively manages their testing team and ensures that all relevant parties, such as the testing team and management team, are kept fully informed of all functionality related project issues. They will also provide feedback on test team performance to the management in order to maximise productivity and identify areas of development or training needs.
- Create test cases in line with the testing methodology and test coverage outlined by the management and 1st Party requirements, and use previous experience and skills to increase the effectiveness of testing.
- Assign daily tasks to the testing team and ensure test cases are followed and accurately completed in a timely manner.
- Accurately complete task allocation documentation, daily updates and shift handovers.
- Database management and the accurate documentation of completed coverage on the project.
- Submit build requests and ensure release of code in a timely manner.
- Proofread and edit release packaging with accuracy.
- Concisely and effectively communicate important project functional issues and test results to all key stakeholders within Development Services, and external parties where necessary.
- Communicate important project issues to the management and actively work with colleagues as appropriate.
- Communicate the project direction to the test team and ensure that they are aware of pertinent information and priorities.
- Provide additional administration information and documentation when necessary.
- Maintain familiarity with current black box & white box testing methodologies / apply this knowledge and experience into the testing strategy and task scheduling of titles.
- Be a point of reference to the testing team, imparting knowledge and mentoring more junior members.
- Assist with recruitment and Functionality assessment centres.
- Training and induction of new employees.
- Provide continual feedback to the testing team to maximise productivity and identify areas of development / training needs.
- Provide feedback on test team performance to the management in order to maximise productivity and identify areas of development / training needs.
- Conduct performance review meetings on a regular basis and raise continual performance concerns with the management.
- Ensure departmental procedures/policies within the testing team are adhered to and highlight any potential issues to the management.
- Ensure that game code security procedures are always adhered to.
- Ensure IT requests are filtered through to the responsible parties.
- Follow instructions accurately and in a timely manner.
- Coordinate and lead group-based testing when necessary.
- Lead external test squads.
- Assist with ad-hoc requests for previous projects worked on and support when necessary.
- Test SEGA products when appropriate.
- Direct the testing strategy with the ability to maintain flexibility and change focus when necessary.
- Assist with preparation of release meeting assets.
- Provide submission material for project management when necessary.
- Provide feedback for post-mortems.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Project management experience and time management skills.
- Experience leading teams of varying sizes.
- Experienced functionality tester with the ability to familiarise with game-play elements rapidly.
- Excellent understanding of test methodologies / testing approaches and incorporates / applies this knowledge and experience into the testing process.
- Ability to organise, delegate and prioritise tasks and complete them in a timely manner.
- Clear, concise and professional communicator both written and verbally.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Technical proficiency and an understanding of different platforms, hardware and peripherals.
- High standard of work and willingness to meet and exceed expectations.
- Proactively help and assist colleagues and maintain a ‘can do’ attitude when under pressure.
- Proactively think ahead and identify tasks that need to be carried out and the motivation to complete these on own initiative.
- Ability to maintain an adaptable approach to testing.
- Knowledge of processes within a QA organization.
- Adaptability and desire to improve processes and own development.
- Ability to work unsupervised and maintain focus and commitment.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the role and the company.
- Experience in QA within gaming industry will be considered a substantial advantage.
- Proven technical proficiency and an understanding of different platforms, hardware and peripherals.
- Proven proficiency with Microsoft applications and Database Management software.
- Knowledge of First Party Publishing Standards is an advantage.
- If required, the job holder will be expected to work outside normal office hours, including weekends and/or bank holidays, when necessary. The job holder may also be required to work offsite if necessary.
- The job holder will be expected to execute any additional requests or instructions issued by senior staff or other members of the management team that are suitable to the job remit.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.