Build and Release Engineer
Our shared technology team are looking for someone with experience and passion for managing builds and integrations and improving deployment workflows. You will have some background in, and knowledge of, software engineering and the general practices of development and continuous integration and deployment.
As a build engineer for Sports Interactive, you will be a forward-thinking and proactive engineer charged with keeping the studio’s production environments stable and future-facing. You will ensure the development teams and QA are provided with the best branch strategies and will be responsible for ensuring build jobs work as required to deliver our products on time and to a great quality.
This role involves working with the various development teams within the studio on multiple products to ensure their needs and requirements are met for builds and deployments.
- Coordinate and manage the build and deployment workflows and processes for multiple products on multiple hardware platforms to various app stores.
- Develop tools and scripts to improve and automate deployment and developer workflows.
- Collaborate closely with all product and engineering teams across the studio, as well as with DevOps and IT, to build, deploy and ship our products.
- Perform and monitor regular software builds of our products.
- Troubleshoot and resolve errors and failures in the build and deployment setup.
- Troubleshoot and help resolve build failures, improve build stability, and ensure builds can be deployed at any time.
- Improve and maintain build and test systems and automation tools and services for existing and new platforms.
- Ensure all versions of our products for production are correct and stable.
- Manage and maintain integration and branching and the processes and strategies for these.
- Communicate status frequently to engineering and production teams.
- Design and document new processes.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Professional experience in a build and release engineering role.
- Some knowledge of programming languages such as C++ or C#.
- Development experience with Windows and macOS.
- Experience with builds and deployments to multiple platforms (desktop, mobile, console).
- Extensive experience with source control systems such as Perforce or git.
- Good experience with CI/CD systems such as TeamCity or Jenkins.
- Experience with developer environments and tool chains such as Visual Studio and Xcode (and their underlying build tools like MSBuild, xcodebuild, etc).
- Highly motivated, autonomous, proactive, and methodical problem solver with attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills.
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
Further information on the company and its games is available at www.sigames.com.
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options dependent on role. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
SI is proudly a Disability Confident Committed employer, and we are dedicated to ensuring our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible. Our studio has disabled access and facilities but please ensure you advise us if you require any other reasonable adjustments to be made to support you during the recruitment process.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.