Project Technical Director
Our Total War team based in the UK are looking for a Technical Director to bring the vision of our next Total War title to life. The successful applicant for this role will get to work with a brilliantly creative and passionate team and define the technical way the project comes together.
This opportunity provides the chance to be bring innovative solutions to the wider Total War team and stability in a studio with a fantastic heritage in making award winning games.
On day to day basis, as the Technical Director on the next Total War title, you will be responsible for the success of your team by being a great leader and mentor. This will involve collaborating with and listening to the developers on your team, identifying and scoping their work, understanding what they need to meet their objectives and perform to the best of their ability.
On a technical level, you will bring your knowledge and expertise to the project and you will be comfortable with identifying risks to the project, develop contingency plans and put those actions in place. You will be able to recognise development problems and propose well considered solutions, which is key to the success of this role. You will also be required to assess and address performance issues, memory use and stability.
In this role, you will also work closely alongside the Core Technology team to enable the delivery of the technology your team needs to succeed in their work.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Experience of at least 2 full AAA development cycles in a leadership role
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Solid understanding of performance, memory management, rendering, security, anti-cheat and all technologies key to game delivery
- Exceptional management skills with experience building and motivating a team
- Good problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly communicate technical issues in a non-technical context
- Experience designing and implementing large systems
- Experience developing on Windows with Visual Studio
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Broad gaming experience and a sense of good game design
- A keen player of strategy games and games in general, including Total War
We offer a fully bespoke funded relocation package for you and your dependants and you’ll be supported through the process with our dedicated Relocation Specialist.
We also have an excellent range of benefits to support your work life balance, including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support so you can truly excel in your area of expertise
- Support in Learning and Development; internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops to inspire and enthuse including internal programming conferences, on-site training with renowned specialists as well as global conference attendance
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme
- Free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- An employee assistance programme and onsite wellbeing sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts portal giving access to a wide range of extras such as heavily discounted home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers
- Amazing studio parties such as our CA Summer Festival, a Christmas Party for you and your partner plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have our wrap parties for all our releases
- Free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing and Pilates classes
- A range of CA Social events including the annual sponsored Walking Challenge to 100Km, Couch to 5k in our beautiful local park, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more
- We offer discounts with local businesses, including estate agents and local shops to support our local economy
We are Creative Assembly
We gather the greatest talent out there, coming together to craft authentic and detailed experiences of the highest quality.
We focus on our strengths and embrace our uniqueness, collaborating across teams and giving everyone the trust and respect to be masters of their craft.
Our values form the foundation of our culture and ethos:
- Quality - Everything we do is about quality, from individual actions to final products, we take pride in the detail and authenticity of all our creations.
- Focus - We focus on our strengths as a studio. Our teams might work across different projects, but our goals and vision should be clear for everyone.
- Teamwork - We are a collective who thrive working across teams, empowering each other to succeed.
- Respect - Respect at CA is given as a default, we respect each other as diverse and unique individuals, who come together to create games our fans will love.
- Trust - Alongside respect, we trust each other, our teams and our leaders as experts of their craft. Everyone is given creative autonomy and freedom to make a real contribution to our projects and our legacy.