Sports Interactive are looking for a talented Game Designer to work on the Football Manager franchise across our Touch and Xbox Edition products, with a particular focus on console platforms. As one of a small group of Game Designers in the Design Team, you will be responsible for developing game features, systems, controls and interfaces in collaboration with other teams in order to bring the vision of the Game Directors into the best possible in-game experience.
You will join a passionate and flourishing team that cares deeply about Football Manager and its quality and accuracy as the world’s leading football management simulation game.
A successful candidate will be a dynamic and self-motivated individual, with excellent communication skills, able to complete work independently as well as part of a team.
- Designing engaging and often complex systems, in line with the product vision of FM Touch and Xbox Edition.
- Articulate design concepts by creating assets such as documents, wireframes, prototypes, presentations, mock-ups etc to validate features prior to development.
- Review design success via qualitative and quantitative assessment techniques.
- Collaborate with the design team by leading and contributing to ideation workshops.
- Collaborate with other key teams, such as Gameplay, UIUX, Comms, Programming and Art to ensure goals from other disciplines are met.
- Standardise, document and communicate game features and systems in a clear and concise manner to the team.
- Help assess the quality and usability of features via usability testing, focus tests and in-house play testing.
- Be a passionate member of the Design Team, driving your own and helping with others’ professional growth.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Deep understanding of video game design.
- A broad knowledge of design as a discipline, understanding methodologies like user-centred design, inclusive design, iterative design, designing for accessibility etc.
- Experience designing for console games is desirable.
- Software knowledge of appropriate tools and creative packages such as Adobe CC, Miro, Wiki etc.
- Some experience with Unity, GameMaker or Unreal a plus.
- Some scripting experience a plus.
- Have experienced a full development cycle releasing at least one video game.
- Good project and time management skills.
- Ability to work in both agile & waterfall environments.
- Excellent communication skills for effective collaboration with software engineers, artists, animators and production staff.
- Self-motivated with a drive to improve yourself and others continuously.
- A broad knowledge of Football, as a sport and as a global industry.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic and collaborative environment.
- Attention to detail.
Sports Interactive (SI) is a multi-award-winning game development studio and the world’s leading developer of sports management simulations. Founded in 1994, SI became a wholly-owned subsidiary of SEGA in 2006. Based at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London, the SI team continues to expand as it brings its titles to an ever-growing audience via an increasing variety of delivery platforms.
SI has enjoyed sustained commercial and critical success for its extremely detailed and immersive simulation experiences. Its games are amongst the highest-rated PC titles (according to Metacritic) and frequently occupy both the ‘top selling’ and ‘most played’ charts on Steam.
The Sports Interactive team is diverse and international, bringing together world class and high potential talent with a combined passion and drive for creating genre-defining games. Team members enjoy a flexible working schedule and a relaxed studio environment that encourages a close-knit, collaborative approach to game development.
SI is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
SI offers a generous benefits package to all full-time team members including gym membership, in-house massage therapy and private healthcare (including dental). The studio is also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boasts one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry with just over 30% of the current full-time team members having been at the studio for 10 years or longer. SI also has many longstanding partnerships with leading charities, local schools and major sporting organisations.
Further information on Sports Interactive, its games and life at the studio can be found at www.sigames.com.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.