Senior to Principal Level Designer
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced Senior to Principal Level Designer to join the team behind Total War, Alien: Isolation and Halo Wars 2, to be a primary stakeholder in level design, world-building and game structure, on a new project being built in Unreal Engine 5 (UE5). The project is based at our headquarters in Horsham, in the heart of West Sussex, however this role may be based either in Horsham, or at CA North in Newcastle, UK. This can be discussed upon application.
The successful candidate will drive strong, compelling level design, that enhances in-game encounters and the overall experience. They will also be responsible for enabling the game's overarching structure and its world architecture.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
This role is Hybrid and has an expectation of 1 day every 2 weeks, in our Horsham studio. We will consider remote working in exceptional circumstances. Further details can be discussed during the recruitment process.
On a day-to-day basis you will:
- Develop level design standards and best practices
- Prove out encounter spaces that enhance the player experience and deliver on the game's goals
- Develop and maintain metrics that allow other departments, such as environment art, to create spaces to the highest standard
- Enable the game's overall structure, pacing and world
- Enhance other systems and features by driving their inclusion and best use in levels and encounters
- Mentor and manage other level designers.
- A highly experienced level designer, with several shipped titles in a level design role
- Excellent communication skills - written and verbal.
- UE4/5 experience
- Experience developing a game's macro structure and hour-to-hour flow
- Experience creating a reusable level design library of modular kit pieces
- Have worked as a level designer in first or third-person games.
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for six consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.