Senior Data Engineer
Amplitude is a team of experienced, quality driven video game lovers who want to create the finest strategy games with the help of our players!
Based in Paris and created in 2011, our titles include Endless Space, Dungeon of the Endless, Endless Legend, and Endless Space 2; critically acclaimed strategy titles, all set in the Endless Universe.
We also recently unveiled our next title: Humankind, a historical strategy epic where you’ll be combining cultures as you lead your people from the Bronze to the Modern age.
Our close relationship with the community is for us a core feature of the studio’s philosophy. We are, of course, happy that our games have sold well and won awards, but more importantly we’re really proud of the way we create games together with our players. Our Games2Gether platform is a great example of this. It enables our community to play a key role in the creation of our games at every stage of development.
As our Senior Data Engineer, your main responsibility will be to build and operate our internal pipeline, to provide accurate, reliable and insightful data to support our game developers, our marketing team and our financial team, to help us make and sell the best strategy games on the market.
More specifically, as the studio’s internal expert for data engineering, and, at first, data analytics, you will:
- Work with our design, marketing and finance team to determine data needs
- Be curious and learn about our design, marketing and finance teams’ work to propose new data sources, approaches and solutions
- Design from the ground up a scalable data pipeline that ensures the timely and efficient delivery of high quality data to its users, with automated systems for data processing, quality testing, storage and ad hoc or ongoing retrieval, as well as tools to facilitate data visualization and dashboard creation by the operational teams
- Design, architect and implement efficient data structures and database schemas that can be easily accessed to provide actionable information
- Constantly research and benchmark new solutions to improve our data pipeline or solve old or new problems
- Until a data analyst is recruited, produce ad hoc or live dashboards at the design, marketing or finance teams’ request
- Work with SEGA Europe to integrate the studio’s data pipeline with that of SEGA
- Provide written documentation of process for training and audit purposes
Required experience & skills
- You have a BA/BS in computer science or a related field
- You have at least 3 years of hands-on experience in data engineering
- You are experienced with sourcing and modeling data from application APIs, as well as scraping data from websites
- You have a proven track record of building, automating and optimizing data pipelines for large amounts of data, from end-to-end
- You have a proven track record with designing and maintaining relational and non-relational databases
- You are a very proficient programmer in SQL and Python
- You have hands-on experience with scalable data processing frameworks (Spark preferred)
- You have hands-on experience with commercial data visualization tools (Tableau or Power BI preferred) or with developing custom webapps for data visualization
- You have a keen interest in understanding business/game production needs and objectives and can be the bridge between operational teams and the studio’s data
- You are autonomous and love taking initiatives
- You have excellent communication skills and are a team player with a can-do attitude
- You are flexible and adaptable to fast-paced game development
- Fully fluent in English
(Very) Welcome bonuses !
- Experience with managing unstructured data and datalakes (on Amazon S3 ideally)
- Exposure to statistical learning techniques
- Experience with serverless architectures
- Previous experience in the videogame industry or in any other digital content industry
- Keen interest in videogames and game design
- Keen interest in marketing or commercial data analysis
- Working knowledge of the French language
- Passionate about strategy games
We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.