C++ Software Engineer (3D Graphics)
Sports Interactive are looking for talented graphics programmers to help us take Football Manager to the next level. You will be working on our graphics engine, which is used across multiple projects and products for visualising matches in 3D. Your focus will be on visuals; improving our graphics in general and composing and rendering a large variety of stadiums, pitch types, weather types, crowds and environments covering every level of football from the tiniest grounds to 80,000-seat behemoths.
Having recently switched to a new graphics engine that targets modern graphics APIs such as Direct X 11 and 12, Vulkan and Metal we are now looking to build on and improve it. You will be heavily involved in these improvements and will have great input into shaping the future direction of our graphics engine. You will also be ensuring it looks great and performs superbly on all the various platforms that we develop on as well as rectifying any stability issues we come across.
Football Manager ships on Windows, macOS, Google Stadia, Nintendo Switch as well as iOS and Android. We are always looking at new platforms so there is plenty of scope for an interest in a particular technology or platform.
- Research and develop approaches to improve and implement great visuals.
- Improve the look and feel of all 3D graphics areas of our products on all our platforms, including our match engine simulation.
- Work closely with our match engine, animation, core tech and tools teams as well as artists across the studio.
- Investigate and solve performance bottlenecks and any stability issues in the graphics engine.
- Help improve our internal graphics-related tools and pipelines.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience.
- Two years or more of experience with real-time graphics in a modern engine.
- Strong 3D maths skills and a solid technical background.
- Experience with low-level graphics APIs: Direct X, Metal, Vulkan, OpenGL and OpenGL ES.
- Experience with shader development: HLSL, GLSL and SPIR-V.
- Knowledge of modern GPU architectures.
- Knowledge of existing, recent and upcoming graphics techniques.
- Experience with C++.
- Ability to work within a larger C++ codebase covering multiple platforms.
- Open to exploring new ideas and approaches.
- Flexible and dynamic to react to changing requirements.
- Excellent communication skills, both spoken and written.
Sports Interactive (SI) is the world’s leading developer of football management simulations through its Football Manager series of games. Founded in 1994 and now based in East London's booming technology hub at Here East in Stratford, SI, as a continually successful and profitable company, is now looking to expand its full-time staff as it pushes out across both existing and emerging gaming platforms.
SI’s games have enjoyed an unparalleled history of commercial and critical success, with 12 of its creations among the UK's Top 20 fastest-selling PC games of all time and five in the UK’s top 20 best-selling PC games of all time. Sports Interactive became a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA in 2006.The studio is a vibrant environment, full of talented and dedicated people with drive, passion and creativity, who enjoy working within a close-knit team as part of a lively, self-motivated and forward thinking company.
Sports Interactive looks after its staff’s well-being with a flexible working schedule that makes the studio a relaxed and friendly place to work (there are six staff lunchtime football teams and a wide range of regular social events). We’re also very proud of being parent-friendly and having high staff tenure (40% have worked here for over 10 years). Further information on Sports Interactive and its games is available on the SI website, www.sigames.com.