Associate QA Technician (12 Month Fixed-Term Contract)
This is a great first step into the world of development QA and is an entry level position in the QA team which works across all Creative Assembly’s award-winning series of Total War games. The role involves testing across a range of titles that are currently in development including DLC for existing releases and new projects in development. As an Associate QA Technician, you will have the opportunity to work alongside our development teams to accurately report issues on all aspects of the game.
We are looking for someone with strong communication and organisational skills who enjoys playing Total War and other strategy games, with a strong academic background in a game related field who is willing to learn from the ground up the process of testing. They will need to be able to work with various disciplines within game development to provide detailed reproduction steps for bugs.
The ideal candidate will have previous experience of Total War titles and has a background or degree in a relevant field of software development. They will have a passion for games and games development who can work under direction to complete tasks in the given time frames. They will need to be self-motivated to learn the many and varied skills and processes involved in development QA who is comfortable in asking questions and seeking out information.
The primary functions of the role are to find, grade and report defects completely and concisely and aid in the reproduction and further investigation of issues as required, communicating key defects, feedback, testing requirements and potential risks to QA Leads.
You will be responsible for following set tasks and objectives from structured test plan runs that need to be followed precisely to open destructive testing. You will test every assigned area using debugging tools to help aid in reproduction and testing.
Working with the rest of QA, you will aim to provide the highest quality overall release of each title worked on by the given deadlines. Achieved primarily through the logging and communicating of concise defects with the correct classification.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to relay important information in the most suited format.
- Ability to take on new information and learn new processes.
- A familiarity of Microsoft Office suite of software.
- Ability to follow set process and apply a methodical approach when investigating issues.
- A passion for video games and a desire to be part of the creative process involved in developing video games.
- A University degree or equivalent in a relevant field that can be applied to Games Testing.
- Experience playing a wide range of titles in the Total War franchise both new and old.
- Wide ranging experience playing a variety of PC video games including the Real-Time Strategy genre of games.
- Knowledge of the development process and the various disciplines involved.
- Knowledge of Jira, DevSuite and Perforce.
- Knowledge of PC hardware and software on multiple platforms.
Currently Creative Assembly is working fully remotely and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation, with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. We will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer a fully bespoke funded relocation package for you and your dependants, and you’ll be supported through the process with our dedicated Relocation Specialist.
We also have an excellent range of benefits to support your work life balance, including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, as all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support with a dedicated learning and development. We offer among other activities; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops to inspire and enthuse including internal programming conferences, on-site training with renowned specialists as well as global conference attendance
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme
- Free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- An employee assistance programme and onsite confidential wellbeing sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts portal giving access to a wide range of extras such as heavily discounted home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers
- Amazing studio parties such as our CA Summer Festival, a Christmas Party for you and your partner plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have our wrap parties for all our releases
- Free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing and Pilates classes
- A range of CA Social events including the annual sponsored Walking Challenge to 100Km, Couch to 5k in our beautiful local park, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more
- We offer discounts with local businesses, including estate agents and local shops to support our local economy.
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values. We focus on our strengths and embrace our uniqueness, collaborating across teams and giving everyone the trust and respect to be masters of their craft. Our values form the foundation of our culture and ethos:
- Quality - Everything we do is about quality, from individual actions to final products, we take pride in the detail and authenticity of all our creations.
- Focus - We focus on our strengths as a studio. Our teams might work across different projects, but our goals and vision should be clear for everyone.
- Teamwork - We are a collective who thrive working across teams, empowering each other to succeed.
- Respect - Respect at CA is given as a default, we respect each other as diverse and unique individuals, who come together to create games our fans will love.
- Trust - Alongside respect, we trust each other, our teams and our leaders as experts of their craft. Everyone is given creative autonomy and freedom to make a real contribution to our projects and our legacy.