Senior UI Software Engineer
The UI team are looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join the Football Manager team. As part of the UI team, you will be working directly on all aspects of the game’s User Interface across PC, Mac, tablet and console. This role includes collaborating closely with our design, gameplay, core tech and match engine teams to ensure we have quality features which flow through the entire end to end experience of our game.
You will join a passionate and flourishing team who care deeply about the visual quality in our games and will be responsible for both maintaining the quality of current features and ideation alongside the development of future enhancements. In addition to this, you will receive the opportunity to voice your ideas and suggestions across the wider studio.
We are looking for candidates who have worked with multiple programming languages, but your main language are C++ and C#. You are up to date on the latest developments in the language and have experience with modern C++ and C#, ideally the candidate will have experience using the Unity game engine.
We are looking for self-motivated candidates with good communication skills who can complete work independently as well as part of a team. This role will include mentoring junior developers and helping to guide their career path alongside leading our team in using new technologies.
- Work across multiple platforms and projects to ensure we deliver the best performance and experience to our customer base.
- Own areas of the codebase with the ability to develop new features from scratch and support current features across all supported platforms.
- Improve and maintain various areas of our user interfaces including our UI libraries.
- Develop, extend, improve, and maintain our code base, workflows, and tools.
- Collaborate with other disciplines, including user experience, design, QA and production to contribute to the overall development of our game.
- Work closely with seniors/leads and production to drive new features and set long term roadmap.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Minimum five years of professional experience using C++ as the main language
- Strong knowledge of C++, design patterns and software engineering.
- Experience designing and developing a range of systems within the games industry.
- Solid understanding of UI/UX design principles with a passion for user experience
- Ability to write clean, maintainable, and portable code
- Strong understanding of XML and ability to write, maintain and manage XML schemas
- Good debugging and problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills for effective collaboration with software engineers, artists, animators, QA, and production staff.
- Knowledge and experience of C# and Unity is desired for this role.
- Knowledge of Flexbox and CSS is a plus for this role.
Sports Interactive (SI) is an ambitious development studio creating immersive sports management simulations. Since 1994, we’ve captivated a global pool of players with our iconic, BAFTA award-winning game, Football Manager. We’re a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA having caught their attention in 2006 with our continuous critical and commercial success.
We’re a tenacious community, coming together at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London. Always expanding, the SI team takes on the gaming genre through a diverse array of disciplines. But no matter how big we dream, we keep our approach (and your schedule) flexible, creating a relaxed atmosphere where collaboration can thrive.
We approach everything with passion, whether that’s making our mark on the gaming and football industries or doing our bit for the world around us. We want to share that outlook with everyone who shows up to work here each day.
We like our talent tenacious, so you can expect to surround yourself with other ambitious individuals bringing their A-game to many different disciplines. We know collaboration is the key to constantly topping our best, and encourage our people to fiercely realise their own personal potential.
We believe everyone matters, no matter which part of the business you’re in. Above all else, we’re a team. A team with a down-to-earth dynamic, that works and plays together. We have fun doing what we do; one of the many reasons we’re one of the best places to work in the UK games business (Gameindustry.biz 2021 Large studio category).
And if you want a work/life balance, we’re behind you. Because while we live to create extraordinary games, we know that’s not all you’ve got going on. You can trust that we always keep things in perspective, fostering an environment where work can be more than just a job.
Our flexible working culture gives team members the responsibility to optimise their workloads, with in-office, hybrid and remote working options. Even in countries where we don’t directly employ*, we’ll even explore what’s possible via third parties and do our best to accommodate location preferences.
And when you’re not here making the world’s best management games, there’s a top-class benefits package for permanent team members based in the UK, including gym membership, private health, and dental care, plus many more perks. For those permanent team members outside of the UK, we strive to offer equivalent and localised benefits. We’re also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boast one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry.
*We’re able to directly employ in the UK, Ireland, France, Sweden and Finland.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from any relevant candidate irrespective of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.