Lead Project Engineer
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Lead Project Engineer
Manager of Engineering Services
330 S US HWY, Sumterville FL 33585
Based on qualifications and experience
Non-Represented – Exempt
Tuesday, 09/07/2021 *
# of Vacancies:
*This posting will be closed and no longer available to receive applications upon SECO Energy’s discretion.
^ SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving over 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in
Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
^ SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
^ Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job
This position is responsible for directing personnel in the Engineering Services design unit; preparing and/or approving technically and economically viable options for overhead and underground extensions and modifications to the utility distribution and transmission systems and fiber optic facilities; review and develop detailed written plans and studies as well as structural and electrical calculations, drawings, and appropriate documentation necessary to meet the needs and requirements of both the Cooperative and our customers; oversee construction work plan project schedules; coordinate project outreach communications; participate in the acquisition of permits and easements.
Minimum Required Qualifications and Competencies
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
4 Year / Bachelors Degree
electrical, civil or mechanical engineering
4 Year / Bachelors Degree
electrical engineering with a concentration in power systems
Eight years of distribution electric utility.
Four years of distribution design experience and a minimum of two years in a lead position assigning work and directing projects.
RUS specifications and procedures.
Experience or similar work with an electric utility or related industry.
Registration as a licensed Professional Engineer (P.E.) in the state of Florida or PMP Certification
Education and/or Experience Notes
Job related experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- A valid Florida driver’s license for regular driving privileges of a company vehicle; must have and maintain an acceptable driving record as determined by SECO Energy.
- Frequent business travel to all areas of service territory required.
- Normal work hours shall be eight (8) hours between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to acquire knowledge and proficiency in SECO Energy’s distribution line design and construction policies, operating practices and procedures, interpretation and administration of company policies and procedures. Prefer knowledge of RUS specifications and procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment, ability to multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
- Computer proficiency and extensive knowledge and utilization of GE Design Manager or similar aids; Microsoft applications, spreadsheets and familiar with using database tables and associated applications; proficiency in mathematical skills including algebra and trigonometry.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding in planning, designing, and preparing line design calculations for distribution line and transmission line construction; accurately prepare design guides, drawings, design costs and related documents; ability to design lines in accordance with utility and NESC specifications.
- Demonstrated knowledge in surveying principles and property rights; ability to prepare easements and acquire permits from multiple governmental agencies.
- Conflict management and leadership skills with ability to make and implement sound decisions commensurate with responsibilities; demonstrated organizational, prioritization and time management skills; detail oriented; strong analytical and process management skills; and demonstrated change management aptitude and ability.
- Excellent customer service orientation and effective interpersonal and communication skills including written, verbal and listening to effectively interact with employees, managers, vendors, subcontractors, government agencies and the public; ability to prepare clear and concise reports and documents and give presentations; work independently and in a team environment to complete assignments with a high degree of accuracy, with attention to detail and meet deadlines.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
Verification: The above qualifications and competencies for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions and technical skills exercise(s).
Essential Duties and responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
This position has responsibility for the direction, coordination, and evaluation of Project Engineer I & II employees in the Engineering Services design unit. This position is expected to perform supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has a generally accepted office environment and frequent field work; moderate exposure to adverse weather conditions and travel to all areas of the Cooperative’s service territory. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.