INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Substation Design Services Supervisor
330 S US HWY 301, Sumterville, FL 33585
Based on qualifications and experience
Non-Represented – Exempt
# of Vacancies:
*This posting will be closed and no longer available to receive applications upon SECO Energy’s discretion.
^ SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving over 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in
Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
^ SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
^ Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job
This position is responsible for substation engineering of new and existing substation improvements including SCADA operations, maintenance, and upgrades; provides technical support services for distribution automation, communications, demand side management and other technical systems; completes necessary specifications, designs and construction, operational and maintenance support of substation and transmission facilities.
Minimum Required Qualifications and Competencies
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
4 Year / Bachelors Degree
electrical engineering with a concentration in electrical power engineering
Registered or eligible to become a Registered Professional Engineer in the state of Florida.
Minimum four (4) years progressively responsible experience in electric utility substation, transmission, or SCADA operations with emphasis on design, construction and operations.
AutoCAD or similar computer aided design software experience.
Distribution electric utility experience or related industry.
Experience or similar work with an electric utility or related industry.
Education and/or Experience Notes
Job related experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- A valid Florida driver’s license for regular driving privileges of a company vehicle; must have and maintain an acceptable driving record as determined by SECO Energy.
- Irregular hours in evenings and on weekends are possible during peak business times and during storm season.
- Normal work hours shall be eight (8) hours between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities; maintain confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
- Ability to work in stressful, high-tension situations.
- Ability to work effectively on projects and in a team environment; to maintain highly confidential information; and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment.
- Business communication skills with ability to read, analyze and interpret job related business periodicals and technical manuals; ability to prepare all types of business correspondence; design and produce reports with a high degree of detail and accuracy; and ability to express technical information clearly and simply while working closely with other personnel.
- Computer proficiency with the ability to utilize MS Office products; ability to acquire working knowledge of applicable corporate programs as they relate to the position.
- Effective interpersonal and communications skills including written, verbal and listening for interaction with employees, managers, subcontractors, government agencies and others; excellent planning and organizational skills; ability to work independently and productively and results oriented in order to complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Effective listening, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service orientation and organizational skills; ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills, and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities.
- Familiarity with SCADA and substation communication systems. Prefer knowledge of FAA/FCC rules and regulations for RF communications.
- Proficiency in the operation of personal computers and MS Office products. Required Auto CAD or similar computer aided design software.
- Thorough working knowledge of electronic and electric circuit analysis; design and construction methods related to utility substation and transmission facilities; project management techniques and procedures; thorough knowledge of appropriate NERC Reliability Standards, Florida and RUS standards and regulations.
- Working knowledge of substation and switching design, relay and symmetrical components; SCADA and information system configuration and programming, load management system design and control requirements; telecommunications and control system design; fault circuit analysis system sectionalizing requirements and equipment application.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
Verification: The above qualifications and competencies for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions and technical skills exercise(s).
Essential Duties and responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
SCADA Operations and Maintenance
Demand Side Management
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. This position has general office environment with limited field work. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.