Senior Payroll Specialist
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Senior Payroll Specialist
Financial & Administrative Services
Headquarters: 330 S US HWY 301, Sumterville FL 33585
Based on qualifications and experience
Non Represented – Exempt
Friday, January 22, 2021*
# of Vacancies:
*This posting will be closed and no longer available to receive applications upon SECO Energy’s discretion.
^ SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative serving over 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in
Central Florida, making SECO Energy the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
^ SECO Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
^ Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job
This position is responsible for assisting with, and being the primary back-up for, the timely and accurate preparation of the Cooperative’s bi-weekly payroll and additional unscheduled off-cycle payrolls; maintaining payroll records and reports for accruals, deductions, labor distribution and other payroll functions; processing the quarterly and annual tax reporting; auditing the year-end W2 process; preparing and assist in the processing online government reporting; maintaining the current Payroll software Leave Management/Accrual Module and assisting with the ongoing development of the current Payroll software HRIS/Payroll Portal System.
Minimum Required Qualifications and Competencies
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
2 Year / Associate Degree
accounting, business administration or a related field
Certified Payroll Professional
five years’ experience producing an in-house computerized payroll for 400+ employees and experience with the UKG Kronos Workforce Ready Portal Software for HR and Payroll.
Experience or similar work with an electric utility or related industry.
Education and/or Experience Notes
Directly related payroll experience, may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- Normal work hours shall be eight (8) hours between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Successful completion of pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of payroll principles, practices, regulations and procedures; government statutes, regulations and rules governing wage and hour regulations, state unemployment and federal taxes; knowledge of time and attendance systems.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products with proficiency in Excel. Desire proficiency with automated payroll systems or the ability to acquire proficiency with the UKG Kronos Workforce Ready HRIS/Payroll Portal Software. Ability to acquire knowledge and skill in the proficient use of the corporate cost and general accounting system.
- Solid knowledge of basic accounting principles and the ability to maintain and reconcile subsidiary systems to General Ledger control accounts; and ability to prepare journal entries.
- Excellent customer service orientation; excellent verbal, written and listening skills for effective interaction with employees, management, government agencies, and others; ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities.
- Business skills to accurately prepare all types of office correspondence; design and produce reports; effective planning, organizational and analytical skills; excellent documentation skills and detail orientation to complete assignments and meet deadlines.
- Ability to maintain highly confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment, ability to multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
- Ability to work without Direct Supervision.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
Verification: The above qualifications and competencies for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions and technical skills exercise(s).
Essential Duties and responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has general sedentary office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Page 1 of 3