Director Transactional Law
Seattle Genetics is seeking a Director, Transactional Law. In this newly created position, the role will have strategic oversight and leadership of Research & Development transactions and lead a team of attorney’s and paralegals to support rapidly growing and fast-moving business initiatives. This role will be a close partner to Clinical Development leadership and provide counsel and advise on legal issues related to clinical trials.
A critical goal of this position would be to evaluate current state of processes and build out new processes that scale and create efficiency. They would look closely at processes within Legal and also those of key stakeholders to ensure they flow smoothly. An ideal candidate will have had experience implementing or managing through new processes with a focus on change management. Additionally, the person should have the ability to build strong partnerships, possess high curiosity to learn our business, and be a strong leader and manager to their team.
- Strategic oversight of Clinical Contracts team by leading a team of attorneys and paralegals to provide legal support to Research & Development, by (i) negotiating, drafting, and counseling on agreements and other documents relating to the research and development of pharmaceutical products, including sponsored research agreements and clinical trial agreements, and (ii) collaborating and interfacing with other internal groups (such as Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, etc.) to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies
- Evaluate current state of team process and develop and implement new process that has the ability to scale and create efficiencies for the team while also increasing the experience of key stakeholders and external partners
- Develop and maintain clinical trial agreement and related templates and negotiation guidelines to facilitate balanced and efficient contracting at scale
- Key member of miscellaneous cross-functional teams addressing Clinical, Regulatory and Compliance issues
- Collaborate with other members of Transactional Law to align processes across business groups
- Identifying and providing counsel and/or triage to appropriate internal or external resources, on legal issues related to clinical trials (including GCP, recruiting subjects, informed consent, conflicts of interest, data transparency, pharmacovigilance, publications, study subject injury and privacy), FDA and EMA regulatory review processes, compassionate use, compliance investigations and animal research
- Build strategic collaborative relationships with major clinical trial sites and CROs
- Develop trusted adviser relationship with Clinical Development Operations and other clients/stakeholders
- Work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment to resolve issues, manage transactional risk and bring transactions to an acceptable close
- Interfaces with external legal resources, as needed
- Hire and develop talent to build a high-performing team who consistently delivers on goals and key initiatives
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum of 10 - 15 years of relevant legal experience, including experience as in-house counsel and U.S.-based public company experience
- Experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment is critical, as is ability to “roll up sleeves” and work in a hands-on manner, as well as provide legal leadership and guidance
- Experience in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry is required
- Minimum of five years managing a team of paralegals and attorneys
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement new process
- The ability to influence all levels of the organization and build strong partnerships and relationships
- Computer proficiency including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- JD degree and active member of Washington State Bar Association or eligible to promptly register as in house counsel
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle Genetics is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seattle Genetics, please visit www.seattlegenetics.com.
Seattle Genetics is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.