Senior Manager Environmental Health Safety & Sustainability Everett Site
Seagen is a global, multi-product biotechnology company dedicated to developing and commercializing transformative cancer medicines. As the industry leader in antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) technology, we pioneered a new generation in the science of harnessing antibodies to deliver cell-killing agents directly to cancer cells. Seagen’s dedication to improving the lives of cancer patients goes beyond science, and we believe that every employee has a role in contributing to this mission. By working together with a shared dedication and diverse perspectives, we are able to reach our full potential and make a real difference in the world. Seagen is a fast-growing company and has an abundance of opportunities available for you to grow your career. Put your passion to work at Seagen and join us!
The Senior Manager, EHSS for Everett site serves as the site responsible and advises site leadership on all EHSS aspects for the site. This role reports into the AD, EHSS Operations, supported by the overall EHSS team, and works cross-functionally with other Seagen locations. This role facilitates the site EHSS program including Seagen Framework, standards implementation, SOP development, risk assessment, site competence/capabilities, high severity risk control (duty holder), site governance, EHSS management of change, and ensures compliance to company/legal requirements.
This person will have multiple reports and leads the team for the EHSS Management System, advising leadership, develop the culture, coaching leaders, and ensure engaged employees within the Everett site.
- Integrate EHSS into design of the new facility and lead the program development for facility start up
- Implements the EHSS Standards, technical references/procedures, EHSS regulations, site permit requirements, and overall EHSS program to ensure that they are established, current, accurate, compliant, and effective
- Evaluates emerging local, state, and federal regulatory requirements and updates the regulatory register, appropriate EHSS programs, and processes to ensure ongoing compliance
- Be the point of contact for regulatory inspections for air, wastewater, RCRA, DOSH and other related EHSS regulatory bodies
- Works closely leadership of manufacturing, MSAT, laboratory, administrative functions, REF Engineering and EHSS leadership to drive the organization’s EHSS program, governance, and cultural initiatives to promote individual engagement and line management accountability
- Embed KPI/metrics, performance, EHSS Alerts, and other key EHSS initiatives within the manufacturing areas and laboratories
- Investigate incidents, identify root cause, and implement appropriate CAPAs for EHSS incidents
- Ensure the effective implementation of management monitoring to ensure EHSS compliance and control of risks in-line with the Seagen Control Framework
- Ensure the site Duty Holder program is implemented and driving continual improvement
- Interfaces with federal, state, and local regulatory agencies to as the site representative and ensure EHSS compliance obligations are met. Ensures compliance with permits and regulatory reporting requirements
- Oversees the labs hazardous waste management program including waste minimization, pollution prevention planning, hazardous waste handling, transportation, disposal, and reporting
- Conduct process hazard analysis to identify, evaluate and control hazards. Lead advanced risk assessment efforts such as PHA and bow-tie analysis
- In partnership with the Campus/PMO, provides oversight and support to site projects to ensure compliance with safety rules and company policies. Works closely with contractors and PMO to review safety work plans to ensure safe design, safety/fire code compliance, and environmental protection
- Plans, develops, conducts and/or supervises training programs to create proficiency in sound EHS practices, and promote EHS awareness.
- Work closely with the AD, Occupational Health Services to implement the potent compound program including design and implementation of controls, containment verification, potent compound training, and associated medical surveillance
- Evaluates reviews and recommends appropriate engineering controls and personnel protective equipment related to the prevention of chemical and physical agent exposure.
- Provides oversight of the facility emergency preparedness and planning process, procedures, and the formation and training of an emergency response team
- Participates and assists management in Hazardous Materials and Emergency Response Team activities
- Serve as the Respiratory Protection program administrator for the company including respirator selection, fit testing, and training for the site
- 12 + years of EHSS experience in a biotechnology or Pharma R&D/laboratory environment/manufacturing
- Strong understanding of Chemical and Biological manufacturing operations, lab operations and warehousing operations
- Experience in implementing EHSS program in GLP and GMP environment
- Experience in integrating EHSS in design and start of a new facility
- Familiar with pertinent federal, state, and local regulatory requirements
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, and accurate investigation reports
- Ability to lead without authority and build an engaged workforce
- Experience managing and/or participating in multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience building EHSS accountability and culture in manufacturing and laboratory organization
- Experience in high potent compound manufacturing control banding and development of occupational exposure limits, sampling and analytical methods for high potent compounds and biologicals
- Experience in Biosafety
- Bachelor's degree in safety, environmental or related field from four-year College or university
- CIH, CSP, or other applicable professional certifications are desirable
- HAZWOPER, DOT, RCRA etc.
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seagen is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seagen, please visit www.seagen.com.
Seagen is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, Seagen requires that all newly-hired employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before commencing employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.