Executive Director Translational Pathology Laboratory
This position will serve as the Executive Medical Director in the Translational Sciences group, reporting to the Vice President of Translational Diagnostics, Analytics and Biomarkers (TDAB). The successful candidate will lead the development of and implementation of biomarker strategies across multiple programs within the company, as well as represent the department to the external clinical community and regulatory bodies.
This is a critical role as the success of the candidate will enable the organization to better understand efficacy and toxicities of potential new drugs that will guide new drug discoveries and maximize the benefit of our therapies with minimal toxicities. The successful candidate will partner with other leaders in Translational Sciences, Research, and Development, using expertise in pathology to support the development of our portfolio. The candidate will provide pathology expertise to facilitate relevant workstreams, including target validation, biomarker and diagnostic development, biomarker testing, and algorithm development; these efforts will drive mitigation and/or backup strategies to bring drugs to patients. In addition, the candidate will identify, evaluate, and implement new technologies or techniques in our in-house pathology laboratories to better evaluate activity and toxicity of our drug candidates through biomarker analysis in a CLIA environment.
- Lead, develop and execute the strategic implementation of clinical biomarkers for multiple targeted therapeutics
- Oversee the development and management of biomarker components of clinical protocols and amendments, investigator brochures, and clinical study reports
- Provide leadership to Translational Sciences directors and scientists who are involved in the assessment and development of biomarker assays
- Develop a strategy, implement and oversee the establishment of an internal biomarker laboratory within Seattle Genetics to current compliance standards
- Provide expert opinion in the regulatory expectations of biomarker and companion diagnostic development, and represent Seattle Genetics to regulators
- Oversee manuscripts, abstracts and presentations for scientific meetings and advisory boards related to biomarkers
- Be an active member of the Translational Sciences senior leadership team, providing support and input across the broad range of activities undertaken by the department
- Identify and lead key strategic objectives for the organization, and align strategy with business objectives
- Work across the organization and on multifunctional teams responsible for the advancement of multiple development assets
- Work successfully with Development counterparts in partner companies that have licensed compounds, and companies doing due diligence for potential licensing of compounds
- Provide senior level subject matter expertise to inform decisions on key scientific and clinical questions for the department
- Represent Seagen in the external scientific community, providing strategic guidance to external partners including Contract Research Organizations
- MD or MD/PhD and board certification by Anatomical Pathology, Clinical Pathology, or equivalent
- 15 years + industry experience in oncology drug and/or diagnostic development
- 5+ years experience as the Medical Director of a CAP Accredited or CLIA certified laboratory with a record of successful inspections
- 10+ years experience signing out pathology cases in a clinical setting
- Has a critical and strategic leadership presence and the ability to work effectively with other clinical and scientific leaders
- Build collaborative networks internal and external to the company to ensure rapid and successful development of novel drugs
- Strong cross functional critical thinking, influencing skills and effective use of personal power in a matrixed organization
- Demonstrates a passion for helping patients with cancer and for the science of oncology
- Has a collaborative style with internal company leadership, external development partners and investigators/medical professionals
- Is a team player, works well in a team environment both as a leader and a key contributor
- Has a global perspective and mindset, with the ability to work effectively with colleagues from myriad cultures, backgrounds and geographies
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seagen is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seagen, please visit www.seagen.com.
Seagen is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.