Principal Scientist MSAT
Seagen is a global, multi-product biotechnology company dedicated to developing and commercializing transformative cancer medicines. As the industry leader in antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) technology, we pioneered a new generation in the science of harnessing antibodies to deliver cell-killing agents directly to cancer cells. Seagen’s dedication to improving the lives of cancer patients goes beyond science, and we believe that every employee has a role in contributing to this mission. By working together with a shared dedication and diverse perspectives, we are able to reach our full potential and make a real difference in the world. Seagen is a fast-growing company and has an abundance of opportunities available for you to grow your career. Put your passion to work at Seagen and join us!
Seagen is seeking a high-performing Senior/Principal Scientist to join our MSAT Labs and Innovation team in Bothell, WA. This role will be responsible for identifying and implementing downstream purification technical innovation that will contribute to future manufacturing development and improvement. The individual will independently lead/execute downstream purification laboratory studies to support global manufacturing and new technology evaluation. The ideal candidate will have a high level of technical expertise in common downstream purification unit operations, including chromatography and filtration based separation, including scale-up/down methodology. This is a leadership opportunity where this role will lead projects, troubleshoot technical challenges, and apply new, innovative technologies to manufacturing. The final level of this position will be based on the candidate’s qualifications.
- Leads identification, evaluation, and development of innovative manufacturing technologies within the field of purification
- Design and execute purification experiments in support of process transfer, troubleshooting, continuous improvement
- Works hands-on in the laboratory for design of experiments, execution, data analysis and data interpretation
- Collaborate with MSAT team to create and foster a scientific climate of excellence to achieve business goals
- Supports process deviations, assesses product impact, prepares technical reports and proposes process solutions and improvements
- Interfacing with Development and manufacturing sites for process data analysis & mapping in order to anticipate potential risks and opportunities for improvements supporting next generation manufacturing processes
- Adhere to Good Documentation Practices for documenting experimental work using an ELN
- Maintain clear and timely records of experimental work and be able to organize, report, and clearly communicate results within the Technical Operations function and to cross-functional teams
- Serve as downstream process subject matter expert on cross-functional teams and effectively communicate results, progress, and plans
- Present at external scientific meetings, develop research for publication in scientific journals, and develop Seagen intellectual property
- Outstanding record of accomplishment in areas of purification bioprocess development, improvement and validation
- Knowledge of purification techniques (depth filtration, column chromatography, virus retentive filtration, tangential flow filtration, etc.)
- Hands-on experience with operation and maintenance of bench through pilot scale chromatography systems and TFF equipment
- Knowledge of protein chemistry and analytical techniques (HPLC, SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, etc.)
- Strong scientific and technical experience within purification development and/or manufacturing technologies and unit operations. Preferably experience with equipment utilized in commercial cGMP manufacturing facilities
- Good knowledge of structured methodologies for process design, scale-up/down models, process modeling, process control strategies, process validation and continuous process verification
- The ability to work effectively in small matrix teams in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and a high level of urgency. Highly motivated with the ability to work independently as well as on cross-functional and cross-site teams
- The candidate must demonstrate high levels of integrity. Key competencies are management of complexity, driving for results, problem-solving and collaborating cross-functionally
- Demonstrated skills of independent thought and creativity in science and engineering
- Strong communication skills and computer literacy are essential
- A good understanding of statistical analysis is desirable
- Demonstrated late-stage regulatory submission experience
- Experience with innovation and operational excellence is desirable
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, biology or another relevant life-science discipline with a minimum of 10 years of relevant industrial experience
- Alternatively, a Masters’ degree with a minimum of 8 years relevant industrial experience or a PhD degree with minimum 5 years relevant industrial experience
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seagen is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seagen, please visit www.seagen.com.
Seagen is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, Seagen requires that all newly-hired employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before commencing employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.