Research Associate III Synthetic Medicinal Chemistry
Seagen is a global, multi-product biotechnology company dedicated to developing and commercializing transformative cancer medicines. As the industry leader in antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) technology, we pioneered a new generation in the science of harnessing antibodies to deliver cell-killing agents directly to cancer cells. Seagen’s dedication to improving the lives of cancer patients goes beyond science, and we believe that every employee has a role in contributing to this mission. By working together with a shared dedication and diverse perspectives, we are able to reach our full potential and make a real difference in the world. Seagen is a fast-growing company and has an abundance of opportunities available for you to grow your career. Put your passion to work at Seagen and join us!
We are seeking an experienced research associate to join a group responsible for the design and synthesis of novel payloads and linker technologies for targeted drug-delivery. This position requires strong synthetic organic chemistry skills. Specifically, the ability to plan and execute multi-step organic synthesis, and employ various purification and analytical techniques including NMR, MS and chromatography to enable structural determination and purity assessment. The successful candidate will have the ability to work both with a high degree of independence and collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team toward the development of effective cancer therapies.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and execute multi-step organic synthesis of novel highly potent cytotoxic molecules, and drug-linkers for conjugation to targeted delivery vehicles like antibodies
- Purification and analytical characterization of organic compounds using chromatography, NMR, HPLC, and MS
- Maintain organized and detailed experimental procedures and analytical data in an electronic laboratory notebook
- Effectively collaborate and communicate with colleagues within a multi-disciplinary project team and across the research organization
- Stewardship and maintenance of some laboratory equipment
- Master’s degree with 3 years of experience, or Bachelor’s degree in chemistry with five years of experience in synthetic chemistry
- Skilled in compound isolation and identification (preparative chromatography, NMR, HPLC, MS, etc.)
- Experience with handling moisture and air sensitive reagents for organic synthesis is desirable
- A high level of technical competence, a willingness to make significant contributions from the laboratory, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively within a team
- Familiarity with contemporary office software (e.g., MS Office), scientific software (e.g., ChemDraw, SciFinder), and instrumental control platforms (e.g., MassLynx, Empower or similar)
- Ability to think critically and communicate results effectively
- Previous experience in small molecule medicinal chemistry a plus but not a requirement
- A background in experimentally-driven molecular property or reaction optimization
- Ability to utilize automation as a tool to enable multitasking
- Familiarity with MS Teams, Sharepoint and other tools to facilitate collaboration
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seagen is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seagen, please visit www.seagen.com.
Seagen is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, Seagen requires that all newly-hired employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before commencing employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.