Vice President, Head of Biomarkers and Diagnostics, Translational Sciences
Seattle Genetics is a rapidly growing targeted oncology therapeutic company. All programs require the development and implementation of cross-functional and globally relevant strategy for target selection, indication selection, patient selection, pharmacodynamic evaluation, and appropriate companion diagnostic development. The Head of Biomarker and Diagnostics Development leads a large and rapidly growing department critical to Seattle Genetics mission. The department will contribute across all stages of research and development, from the earliest Research efforts in target selection through Development stages, filing, and relevant post marketing activities. The breadth and depth of this role are considerable, requiring ability to operate at a high strategic level, and also understand and be familiar with the day to day operations. You will have overall accountability for the scientific validity and operational implementation of target and indication selection, biomarker plans and diagnostics development globally. The individual is required to network broadly, both within the company at all levels, but also in the external community where you will be a recognized global expert in the science and regulations associated with all aspect of biomarkers and diagnostics. As a senior executive, you will be expected to understand the role your department makes within the overall business and make decisions on a company first basis. You will be expected to represent your function and the overall department to senior leaders throughout the company – making a positive impression of the need and value of the work you represent. interact across the development and research organizations, and be a key individual in negotiating with and managing external partners to ensure regulatory expectations are met and timelines meet project expectations. You will be comfortable and highly effective at working with all levels of the company – including C level executives and board members. The delivery of your department is critical for business success and you are responsible for the quality and timely delivery of all your departmental objectives. You will hold high level decision making authority – requiring you to seek wide advice and support for your key decisions, standing by those decisions and taking full responsibility for outcomes. You will be a key leader in the organization, both within your department and more broadly where you will excel in the recruitment and development of talent. This individual will be expected to represent Seagen in high level regulatory interactions and to the external healthcare community. You will lead an established organization and build capability and talent to sustain the rapid growth of the company.
Ensure the scientific quality and timely delivery of all biomarker and diagnostics plans across all global project teams.
- Be responsible for the overall strategy for the department, ensuring the strategy supports broad business goals
- Ensure that Seattle Genetics is at the forefront of scientific expertise in the field
- Ensure that all project teams have the support required to have seamless drug development
- Lead the development of strategy for global regulatory filings, ensuring that all regulatory interactions represent highest quality and drive a reputation of excellence with regulators
- Network widely within Seattle Genetics so the value and deliverables of your department are widely known and appreciated
- Recruit, lead, and develop a large and rapidly growing department, role modelling excellent leadership. Ensure leaders in your organization are providing staff with excellent leadership
- Develop relevant internal capability to ensure key support is rapid and high quality, and also be a key individual in identifying and operationalizing external partners
- Provide corporate expertise on all aspects of global external environment (eg regulatory, competitive, and scientific) regarding current and future developments in the field of biomarkers and diagnostics
- Represent Seagen at high level regulatory and scientific meetings regarding biomarkers and diagnostics
- Maintain a high level profile of scientific excellence in the external community
- Influence and gain the confidence of C level executives and board member
- Demonstrated experience working on biomarker and diagnostics development for oncology products, including global regulatory filings. Experience with product launches and life cycle management is preferred
- Demonstrates strategic agility: has in-depth knowledge and broad experience in the pharma/biotech industry and is able to bring this to bear in accomplishing strategic goals and objectives
- Has a strong leadership presence and the ability to work effectively with other clinical/scientific and cross functional leaders
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; proven track record of building strong and sustainable relationships with internal & external partners/stakeholders
- Strong staff management and mentoring experience and skills
- Strong verbal and written communication & presentation skills; exhibits professional maturity, confidence and competence. Knows how to summarize, represent and communicate the key points for others to effectively and expeditiously make important business decisions
- Is a team player, works well in a team environment both as a leader and a key contributor
- Has a global perspective and mindset, with the ability to work effectively with colleagues from varied cultures, backgrounds and geographies
- Able to work remotely and with remote global teams when necessary
- M.D. or M.D./Ph.D. with board certification in pathology preferred
- Minimum 15 years experience of clinical biomarkers in either an industry, academia, or clinical practice preferred
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle Genetics is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seattle Genetics, please visit www.seattlegenetics.com.
Seattle Genetics is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.