Director, IT Project Management Organization (PMO)
The Director, IT Project Management Office (IT PMO) matures the IT capability to execute programs and projects effectively, efficiently and in a manner that accelerates the IT departments ability to deliver technology to support Seattle Genetics objectives. This a leadership role, responsible for the overall program/project management and governance function by providing leadership, coordination, development and oversight of project management disciplines, processes, and functions across IT teams, including a centralized PMO that reports to this role.
The Director, IT PMO is responsible for the IT project management function and IT’s project lifecycle in a rapidly evolving IT department. This responsibility include defining and achieving a long-term plan to mature the IT project management capability for delivery, setting standards for project management, communicating with a broad group of stakeholders, and transform the centralized IT PMO model into a Center of Excellence (CoE) to nurture project management professionals.
This is a highly visible role that collaborates with business and IT leaders to assure IT delivery excellence for business value by direct oversight of the centralized IT PMO to carry out strategic programs and projects. This role collaborates with leaders of all IT functions to develop, promulgate, and oversee project management capabilities across IT functions.
- Mature and streamline the IT PMO role and operating model to achieve better quality, consistency and oversight of projects and programs, project management methodologies and best practices for project delivery, standards, and tools
- Responsible for the continuous improvements of the project lifecycle that aligns with strategy, performance, and established goals creating delivery efficiencies and improved quality
- Accountable for driving consistent and efficient execution of projects/programs by working closely with internal business partners and stakeholders to drive the adoption and implementation of global standards in processes and programs
- Accountable for the on-time delivery of PMO commitments through the planning, execution, and monitoring of project/program work within the team
- Establish the IT departments approach to the full lifecycle of projects, including everything from strategic planning and goal setting, project management and execution, project documentation and archives, project prioritization and portfolio alignment, change management to monitoring, controls, process improvement and standards development, and completion
- Create project management and project lifecycle options based on the size and complexity of the project, allowing non-PMO project managed projects, which may include PMO support but not direct management
- Establish the PMO organization structure, provide strategic direction and day-to-day leadership to a team of employees to develop and maintain a high-performance organization, hiring and managing staffing requirements in line with project objectives, oversee the delegation of work to staff, create resource development plans and set annual performance targets for individuals and the team, and conduct performance reviews
- Provide management support and oversee select project managers for the delivery of projects/programs on time, within scope and on budget, track and provide project status, manage the risk, issue and change resolution process, and work with IT leaders to take corrective action as needed
- Enable efficient staffing and resourcing of programs and projects across IT teams and centralized IT PMO to align with project priority, IT PMO maturity and staff development, including contracting with external vendors and individuals for specialized expertise in project delivery
- Create a long-term strategy and development plan to mature the project management capability, including upskilling centralized IT PMO for agile competency, create/update PMO handbooks information and provide education and support to IT leaders in the day-to-day PMO activities as it matures
- Create IT PMO short and long-term objectives and annual budgets/policies/procedures to achieve PMO targets that align and support the IT Department's efficiency targets for project delivery
- Develop governance and oversight structure across IT teams and centralized IT PMO to assess and visualize overall IT maturity for project delivery and compliance with IT PMO standards and effective use of project management capability
- Develop assessment methodologies, evaluation criteria, tools, and visuals to communicate with IT leadership, and overall maturity and performance measures for project delivery across IT teams and for the centralized IT PMO
- Establish a collaborative relationship with other closely related functions at Seattle Genetics, particularly other functional PMOs, to achieve project management maturity across the enterprise
- Provide business and IT leaders with the information needed to keep them up to date with project status, risks, and opportunities
- Develop an in-depth understanding of Seattle Genetics products, business models, and IT Operations
- Establish and maintain critical relationships with internal and external business and technology partners
- 15 years of overall experience with 10+ years successful IT project management experience delivering projects/programs and 5+ years in a PMO leadership role
- Track record of collaborating with multiple stakeholders to achieve sustainable outcomes because of operating project management capability
- Demonstrated skills in strategic and critical thinking, negotiation and relationship building
- Proven project/program leadership experience, including ability to build effective teams comprised of internal and vendor sourced resources
- Demonstrated ability to build effective working relationships across IT teams to ensure commitment and cooperation throughout project life cycle
- Demonstrated ability to provide executive views into team competency, performance, development, and outcomes
- Strong team and individual coaching and mentoring skills
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Strong working knowledge of various software programs to manage Project & Portfolio Management (PPM), including but not limited to Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio), Microsoft Project and Smartsheet
- Deep understanding of waterfall and agile methodologies and the ability to efficiently apply the appropriate method as the situation demands
- MBA or equivalent work experience preferred
- Six Sigma certification preferred
- Certified Scrum Master certification preferred
- Experience in biotech preferred
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle Genetics is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seattle Genetics, please visit www.seattlegenetics.com.
Seattle Genetics is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.