Associate Director of Automation and Power
Seagen is a global, multi-product biotechnology company dedicated to developing and commercializing transformative cancer medicines. As the industry leader in antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) technology, we pioneered a new generation in the science of harnessing antibodies to deliver cell-killing agents directly to cancer cells. Seagen’s dedication to improving the lives of cancer patients goes beyond science, and we believe that every employee has a role in contributing to this mission. By working together with a shared dedication and diverse perspectives, we are able to reach our full potential and make a real difference in the world. Seagen is a fast-growing company and has an abundance of opportunities available for you to grow your career. Put your passion to work at Seagen and join us!
Seagen is seeking an Associate Director of Power and Automation within the Center of Excellence, COE, organization for REF – Engineering. In this new engineering function, the role will have the responsibility for developing a global power and automation strategy which assures facility power distribution and automation equipment, and systems are designed, operated, and maintained in a safe and compliant manner. The function will support REF – COE to ensure capability through site technical authority and technical support. This role will report the Director of Engineering, Center of Excellence.
This person will possess strong power and automation engineering acumen, perspectives combined with management and commercial skills for strategic focus and business value add. This role will be accountable for maintaining power engineering expertise and competency across sites. The expectation is this function will set a target for Best-in-Class results while focusing on quality product for Seagen patients.
- Increase REF Power and Automation Engineering depth and capability within Seagen
- Ensure Power and Automation Engineering designs are compliant with Seagen and other industry benchmarks and guidelines with applicable regulations (IEEE, ISA, and other agency regulations, cGxP, EHS, etc.)
- Ensure Power Engineering and Automation areas are audit ready and compliant
- Technical Authority and resource for related Seagen Engineering Standards
- Responsible for Power and Automation System Reliability and Engineering Compliance programs within REF
- Establishes, implements, and maintains Power and Automation design and technical standards, inter-departmental policies, procedures, and standards.
- Collaborates with business unit department leads to determine scope, complexity, planning and scheduling requirements for REF Power and Automation programs and processes.
- Manages and assists in the planning and designing of Power and Automation engineering projects including studies, analyses, construction documents, and presentations.
- Lead innovations by implementing new Power Systems and Automation technologies which drive growth using digital data and analytics (DD&A) such as Power BI.
- Develop, manage, and report Power and Automation operation leading and lagging metrics/indicators to support site maintenance program – preventive and predictive maintenance.
- Provide internal review of Power Distribution and Automation design and drawings from outside engineering firms to support construction phase projects.
- Contribute to the Capital Planning Process by developing and providing input to the REF Recapitalization and Facility Master Plan programs in additional departmental requirements
- Participate in manage risk management to ensure proactive measures are taken to reduce impact or risk to Seagen - EHS, Quality, Compliance, Security, Operations, Facilities, or REF
- Use Quality Management Systems, QMS, to manage department Change Control, Deviation, and CAPA records.
- Develop training curriculum for Seagen facilities to raise aware of Electrical systems and identify Qualified personnel
- Ensure adherence to Seagen Data Integrity principles
- Ensure compliance against local, state, federal, country and industry requirements
- Ensure accountability for site Safety Culture
- Process Automation System (PAS) and Building Automation System (BAS) for manufacturing operations, lab environments/equipment, and office spaces experience.
- Responsible Lead to ensure compliance with Data Integrity principles
- Partner with Corporate Security for site Access Control and Security Equipment
- Maintain and troubleshoot computer and networking issues in relation to SCADA and DCS systems
- Identify and Management of risk related to automation and IT/OT systems
- Lead innovations by implementing new methods and technologies which drive growth in digital data and analytics (DD&A) such as Power BI.
- Participant in the Site Capital Planning process
- Manage and report facility operation leading and lagging metrics/indicators to support site maintenance program – preventive and predictive maintenance.
- Provide Automation and IT input to support the site Recapitalization Program and Facility Master Plan
- Design, modify, and run reports from electronic systems that provide end users with data for both business and regulatory needs.
- Ensure redline system and process drawings to reflect changes made to wiring, process, and system changes
- Use internal quality systems to generate, assess, and close Change Control, Deviation, and CAPA records.
- Lead automation representative to work with Quality Assurance and other compliance groups to create, review, and execute validation protocols.
- Lead due diligence activities against Industry and company Engineering Standards for automation, calibration, and IT/OT systems.
- Support site Safety Culture and implement plans to reduce risk of identified gaps against EHS SOPs and Standards
- Support site gap assessment against Seagen Engineering Standards
- Experience working with process historians (Wonderware Historian, iHistorian, Pi, or similar) including administration and processing of live and historical data for trend, alarm, and batch reports.
- Clear understanding of Industry knowledge such as ISPE, ISA symbols and terminology in relation to system loop diagrams and P&ID drawings
- Experience using an Enterprise Asset Management system (Maximo) to track and record, track, log the status of work performed.
- Ability to analyze and repair highly complex interconnected automation process control systems
- Strong understanding of ladder logic, function block, and structured text-based programming in relation to programmable controllers.
- Familiarity with SCADA systems and concepts such as Allen Bradley Factory Talk, Siemens WinCC, Wonderware, iFix or similar systems.
- Strong computer and controls networking background including Ethernet and control systems communications (BACNET, MODBUS, EthernetIP, ProfiBUS).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university
- Minimum 10 years’ experience and progressive experience
- Professional Licensed/Registered Electrical, PE
- Master’s Degree in Electrical or related field
- Proficient use of Computer Maintenance Management System
- Domestic and International Professional work experience
- Train the Trainer capabilities
- Understanding of aspects for Commissioning and Qualification activities
- Ability to influence and persuade cross functional groups
- Transformational Leadership skill sets
- In depth knowledge of FDA, EMA, GxP and ICH regulatory requirements
- Experience with International Standards Boards and Global Regulatory
- Broad communication skills and demonstrated experience in financial management and understanding of business value drivers are required.
- Build and Lead teams consisting of client(s), supplier(s) and geographically dispersed virtual teams.
- Proficient use in MS Office as well as discipline-specific and project management software applications
- Progressive experience in Facilities Management
Certified Facilities Manager (CFM), Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Facilities Management Professional (FMP)
- Certified trainer or proven competency within area of expertise to drive awareness within Seagen
- Additional accreditations or certification especially centered around sustainable design – i.e., Commissioning, LEED AP
- Lead Member, Membership within External Industry Organization
As the leading employer in our industry in the Pacific Northwest, Seagen is proud to offer a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Benefits include medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more. To learn more about Seagen, please visit www.seagen.com.
Seagen is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, Seagen requires that all newly-hired employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before commencing employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.