VP, Assistant Corporate Controller
VP, Assistant Corporate Controller
Summary of Responsibilities:
The VP Assistant Corporate Controller is a highly visible role in the Finance organization providing leadership over financial reporting, corporate wide technical accounting, and policies and compliance. The position is responsible for the consolidation and reporting of results of the company, SEC and other external reporting, and compliance with US GAAP. The role serves as primary interface with external auditors and is responsible for financial and internal control policies and programs. This position reports to the Chief Accounting Officer and leads the corporate reporting and technical accounting team through growth, transformation, and continuous improvement and serves as a key business partner to the rest of the finance organization and broader operational teams.
- Lead the team in all aspects of the worldwide consolidated close and ensure accurate and timely consolidated financial statements and reporting.
- Ensure the company is in compliance with all financial policies, US GAAP, and SEC related reporting requirements, and all other applicable rules and regulations for reporting to other interested parties outside the company including support to statutory reporting.
- Drive and oversee all SEC and other external reporting including Forms 10Q, 10K.
- Provide technical accounting advisory and oversee accounting related to complex transactions and contracts to ensure conformity with US GAAP, local country GAAP, and company policies and procedures, including formulating conclusions and preparing written position documentation.
- Direct and provide research of potential changes to accounting standards and documents and advises organization regarding the impact; leads implementation of new accounting standards.
- Direct and oversee accounting activities for global holding companies and other non-trade entities and complex areas such as derivatives, pensions, and stock-based compensation.
- Analyze and review the monthly and quarterly results, balances, and cash flow activity, and work closely with investor relations and FP&A to support quarterly earnings, GAAP to non-GAAP reconciliations, and other analysis support.
- Provide counsel and advice to the Chief Accounting Officer, Chief Financial Officer, and other senior management on effects of accounting and control rules, regulations, and issues as they relate to the company or to business decisions.
- Serve as a key business partner to Treasury, Tax, Corporate Development, FP&A and Operations to drive company objectives, value creation and innovation.
- Actively drive the accounting effort for M&A diligence, purchase accounting, integration and other strategic initiatives, and partner with cross functional teams to support these efforts.
- Assess, initiate, and drive continuous improvement in areas involving reporting, complex accounting topics, policies, and processes.
- Lead development of sound business procedures and reporting systems for the company to ensure that all financial, accounting and management control requirements are met; collaborate with teams globally to drive and ensure consistency in practice and compliance with policies and procedures.
- Oversee the functional administration of the global consolidation financial business systems and global close process ensuring resources, processes, procedure documentation and standardized master data are in place to achieve accurate and optimized financial processing, reporting and controls.
- Ensure strong internal controls and proper corporate-wide internal compliance is in place and operating effectively to improve financial operations and support senior management’s certifications to external auditors and and SEC.
- Oversee and manage external and internal auditor reviews and audits.
- Prepare materials for the Disclosure and Audit Committees summarizing key accounting considerations for the period; present in related meetings.
- Support the budgeting and forecasting processes; ensure that department costs are controlled with the objective of optimizing and minimizing costs while providing scalable quality services to our
- Communicate effectively with all levels within the organization from staff and operations to executive leadership including the CEO, CFO, CAO, Audit Committee, and other senior leaders.
- Develop, coach and mentor team to build their professional growth and maximize potential.
- Maintain historical records in accordance with the company’s Corporate Records Retention Policy, while ensuring critical documents are maintained appropriately to support financial reporting, tax audit and other needs.
- Periodically assess the effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting; specifically, monitor the ongoing effectiveness of the account reconciliation process to prevent out-of-period errors including perform annual “controllership reviews” at key locations as further verification of effective internal controls.
- Additional duties and projects as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with a CPA and a minimum of 15+ years total experience in a national or large regional public accounting firm and international corporate environment; MBA preferred.
- Strong technical accounting background and knowledge of US GAAP, SEC reporting and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements, as well as experience with technical research and preparation of accounting positions
- Ability to clearly and concisely document and effectively communicate complex accounting and reporting positions to finance and non-finance personnel
- Exceptional analytical skills and attention to detail
- Strong project management skills with ability to manage multiple projects, competing priorities, and deadlines
- Effective communicator and strong interpersonal skills
- Strategic agility and problem-solving capability
- Experience working across multiple levels, functions, and regions
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- M&A and purchase accounting experience
- Experienced with global business environments and multi-currency entities
- Consolidation systems experience: OneStream preferred
- Manufacturing accounting experience preferred
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]