Senior Cost Accountant
Schweitzer-Mauduit International, Inc. (NYSE: SWM) (“SWM” or “the Company”) is a publicly traded, multinational, diversified engineered materials company which conducts business in over 90 countries and operates more than 25 production locations worldwide. Operating locations include the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Luxembourg, Brazil, China, Belgium and Poland. SWM operates in two business segments, Advanced Materials & Structures and Engineered Papers. For the fiscal year ended 12/31/19, consolidated revenues were $1 billion.
At SWM, we are focused on helping our customers succeed- it’s our mission and our passion.
We are proud to serve customers who make a world of difference in the markets they operate in, and the products they improve. Every day our papers, films, nets & nonwovens are used in a diverse range of applications and industries around the world.
We are problem solvers, innovators, and manufacturing experts.
Our employees share a passion for our products, customers, and the success of our organization. We generate the ideas, create the innovative solutions, manufacture the products and deliver the services that have made SWM a global leader for decades.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Senior Cost Accountant plans, organizes, directs, and controls the inventory and cost accounting functions for the assigned plants, compiles operational results, and leads the budgeting process and financial analysis reporting for the assigned plants. The position also administers plant variance reviews with Operations Leadership, as well as assists the Operations or Regional Controller with ad-hoc assignments related to sales and cost.
The position is located at our Minneapolis, MN plant and is required to be on site daily.
- Leads all cost accounting activities for the assigned plants with responsibility for maintaining accurate books and records and strong internal controls.
- Owns standard cost calculation, while working with assigned plants’ personnel to ensure proper bill of material and routing maintenance.
- Partners with Operations Management by communicating financial and cost accounting information that will drive business profitable decisions.
- Ensures product cost information is accurate. Reviews any variance between standard cost and actual cost of material received from vendors, reviews production variances to ensure labor time required and amount of material to produce a product is accurate; updates system costs when vendors announce a price increase.
- Prepares monthly detailed Inventory Reserve for Inventory reporting, and partner with cycle count analyst to ensure the accuracy of reported inventories.
- Monitors and updates overhead, machine and labor rates annually.
- Reviews monthly material price variance report and makes any necessary journal entries.
- Prepares monthly and periodic financial analysis including variance analyses, operational KPI’s and other monthly management reporting.
- Improves financial status by analyzing results versus forecasts; identifying trends; recommending actions.
- Performs certain month-end duties, primarily related to the assigned plants’ inventories and cost.
- Assists the Operations or Regional Controller with financial reporting, transaction accounting work, and projects as needed, including FP&A assignments.
- Owns annual budget process and forecasts for assigned plants.
- Assists other departments with various financial and cost reporting and projects as required.
- Provides regular analytical information and schedules to plants’ management and other functional departments.
- Prepares cost/projection analysis of new business opportunities and existing business relationships, including pricing new business and maintaining prices on existing business.
- Leads special projects aimed at supporting various Operational Excellence and Continuous Improvement initiatives at the assigned plants.
- Travel up to 10% domestic.
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance with a minimum of 5+ years of related experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Significant cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment, including working directly with operations management
- Strong attention to detail and significant experience in budget preparation and variance analysis
- Strong sense of urgency
- Demonstrated ability to perform complex financial analyses and to project anticipated results.
- Advanced MS Office Skills; Advanced EXCEL user, Pivot table, VLOOKUP, etc.
- Experience with large ERP systems
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including presentation skills
- Ability to work autonomously without direct onsite supervision (as direct manager may be at another location)
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]