Senior General Accountant
Schweitzer-Mauduit International, Inc. (NYSE: SWM) (“SWM” or “the Company”) is a publicly traded, multinational, diversified engineered materials company which conducts business in over 90 countries and operates more than 25 production locations worldwide. Operating locations include the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Luxembourg, Brazil, China, Belgium and Poland. SWM operates in two business segments, Advanced Materials & Structures and Engineered Papers.
At SWM, we are focused on helping our customers succeed- it’s our mission and our passion.
We are proud to serve customers who make a world of difference in the markets they operate in, and the products they improve. Every day our papers, films, nets & nonwovens are used in a diverse range of applications and industries around the world.
We are problem solvers, innovators, and manufacturing experts.
Our employees share a passion for our products, customers, and the success of our organization. We generate the ideas, create the innovative solutions, manufacture the products and deliver the services that have made SWM a global leader for decades.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Senior General Accountant oversees and manages the creation of financial information for SWM and it’s finance and operations leadership team for multiple locations. This includes the analysis of and preparation of accounting data and reporting.
The position supports multiple plants and will need to travel according to company needs and Covid-19 restrictions.
- Prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Documents financial transactions by entering account information.
- Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
- Summarizes current financial status by collecting information; preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports.
- Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents.
- Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information.
- Secures financial information by completing data base backups.
- Maintains financial security by following internal controls.
- Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations.
- Guides junior accounting staff by coordinating activities and answering questions.
- Complies with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- Prepares special financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and
- Maintains customer confidence and protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, with 5+ years of experience
- Attention to detail
- Must possess strong analytical skills, be detail oriented and able to multi-task, demonstrate tact and sound judgment/decision-making skills.
- Must be discreet and have the ability to protect confidential information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Corporate accounting / General ledger experience
- Experience and fundamental knowledge of an Accounting environment is required.
- Advanced EXCEL user, Pivot tables, VLOOKUP, etc.
- ERP system experience is required.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]