We’re SWM. We’re Essential.
At SWM, we’ll never be okay with status quo. We are committed to raising standards, providing growth opportunities to our employees and giving our customers the answers, the value, and the edge they need to compete and win.
At SWM, Essential isn’t just what we make. It’s what we do.
Every day, our papers, films, and nets and nonwovens are used in a diverse range of products, applications and industries around the world. As experts in highly engineered materials made from fibers, resins and polymers, we provide solutions to make products stronger, more durable and with increased performance. From accessory materials for face shields and medical devices, to protective helmets for hospital workers, law enforcement and military, to support layers for filtration and Reverse Osmosis (RO) applications for clean drinking water – and much more, we are proud to serve customers who make a world of difference in the markets they operate in and the products they improve.
We have an opportunity for a Buyer in our Advanced Materials and Structures business.
The Buyer reports to the Purchasing Manager. The Buyer is accountable for the application of local sourcing/purchasing plans for made-to-order and made-to-stock defined segments in compliance with the Purchasing strategy cascaded by the Purchasing Manager. This position is the voice of purchase strategy at the local level and in front of the suppliers and is accountable for local site purchases/items/suppliers. This position follows all Global guidelines, safety plans, policies, ethics, and procedures and is a key member of the organization to raise new ideas, synergies, and opportunities which drive deflation and cost avoidance.
- The primary responsibility for the Candidate will be placing, confirming, updating, requisitions and purchase orders as required by the site. Candidate, at specific sites, will be responsible for issuing and scheduling work orders, as well as, updating sales orders as necessary.
- Participate in the execution of the local sourcing strategy that delivers a competitive advantage driving the strategic supplier initiatives.
- Participate in projects to obtain results and cost savings goals through collaboration with other key stake holder groups.
- Source and select new materials and suppliers and opening/closing supplier accounts.
- Participate in sourcing optimization and overall supplier performance by performing root cause analysis, and resolution, of supplier corrective actions.
- Meet with suppliers and account representatives, negotiating rates, updating approved supplier list and general supplier records, including finalizing Supplier Performance Reviews.
- Manage buying processes, ensuring requirements for quality, quantity, on-time delivery, and pricing is achieved.
- Report delivery delays to production and operations by tracking and reporting all materials shortages. Responsible to expedite materials, as required, to meet production and operation schedules.
- Resolve delivery/quality issues, and invoicing/payables issues, as applicable.
- Participate in daily production and/or management meetings, as applicable.
- Proactively manage inventory planning, including optimization of safety stock levels.
- Participate, as needed, on new projects and sourcing of new materials.
- Participate in supplier audits, as needed.
- Work with Quality Assurance on raw material claims and assist in return authorization and corrective actions, as necessary.
- Ensure that financial requirements such as requisition approvals and capital spending requirements are met through the purchasing process.
- Uses interpersonal skills to engage and motivate others to accomplish goals.
- Share knowledge and provide guidance in developing other team members.
- Travel up to 10% domestic.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in related field or commercial with 3-5 years’ work experience in Supply Chain, OR a combination of education and experience. ISM, ASCM, or other Supply Chain Certification preferred.
- Good commercial awareness and business acumen, with strong negotiation skills and the ability to build effective relationships and develop trust with suppliers, and stakeholders.
- Attention to detail is a must.
- Ability to follow through with a sense of urgency when placing orders or updating PO’s, WO’s, and/or SO’s, as specified by the SWM site.
- Must be professional in regard to all written and verbal communications.
- Knowledge of purchasing, contracts, negotiations, and logistics.
- Resourceful, creative, and innovative in problem solving and the ability to work in a matrixed organization.
- Learns from experience and uses knowledge to source the best practices.
- Ability to prioritize and organize activity with lean efficiency.
- Experience in ERP systems and strong computer skills.
- Strong analytical thinking and decision-making abilities.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]