Sr. R&D Engineer
We’re SWM. We’re Essential.
At SWM, we’ll never be okay with status quo. We are committed to raising standards, providing growth opportunities to our employees and giving our customers the answers, the value, and the edge they need to compete and win.
At SWM, Essential isn’t just what we make. It’s what we do.
Every day, our papers, films, and nets and nonwovens are used in a diverse range of products, applications and industries around the world. As experts in highly engineered materials made from fibers, resins and polymers, we provide solutions to make products stronger, more durable and with increased performance. From accessory materials for face shields and medical devices, to protective helmets for hospital workers, law enforcement and military, to support layers for filtration and Reverse Osmosis (RO) applications for clean drinking water – and much more, we are proud to serve customers who make a world of difference in the markets they operate in and the products they improve.
We have an opportunity for a Sr. R&D Engineer in our Advanced Materials and Structures business.
The Sr. R&D Engineer is end-to-end responsible for developing products according to the business unit product roadmap. Assures competitiveness and product innovation through active management of the research pipeline hitting all targets for delivery to market.
- Leads development projects for the designated Functional area within BU (i.e. Delpore, Naltex, etc.)
- Participates with co-development projects
- Provides cost-efficient R&D for the business unit via service level agreements
- Incorporates relevant design expertise and experience in projects in line with product strategy
- Encourages creativity in R&D teams using Design Think methodology
- Actively searches for best-in-class technologies among competitors and develops innovation roadmap
- Implements structures respecting existing patents; creates new patents as required for the product line
- Cooperates closely with business leaders to assure customer focus and target costing; co-develops product roadmaps
- Supports Sales through joint customer visits and technical presentations
- Supports R&D projects at group level participating in meetings and sharing technical information and "best-practices”
- Encourages "best-practice" sharing through the participation and promotion of meetings, knowledge sharing tools and all other initiatives liaising on a world-wide basis
- Applies all relevant international regulations/norms/standards
- Source raw materials / assist Corp Purchasing
- Assist with diagnosing quality complaints / create corrective actions
- Work with outside vendors / contractors to expand technology base and/or develop new items.
- Additional duties as assigned
A Bachelor’s degree in the field required by the business until, advanced degree preferred. 7+ years of increasing responsibility in Research or Product Development.
- R&D project management role is needed
- A previous experience in innovation methodologies
- Knowledge of R&D processes and organization in B2B environments
- Extensive knowledge of technical applications and manufacturing implication specific to the product line
- Good knowledge of most IT tools to lead R&D such as gate methods and FEA
- Demonstrated ability to manage the product life cycle from concept to manufacture.
- Up to date with regulatory compliance in market areas
- Hands on, engaged with manufacturing personnel
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]