Schweitzer-Mauduit International, Inc. (NYSE: SWM) (“SWM” or “the Company”) is a publicly-traded, multinational, diversified engineered materials company which conducts business in over 90 countries and operates 23 production locations worldwide. Operating locations include the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Luxembourg, Brazil, China, Belgium and Poland. SWM operates in two business segments, Advanced Materials & Structures and Engineered Papers.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The position is responsible for providing a wide range of legal services, which include facilitating the research process, completing legal paperwork, supporting the development and management of contracts, and providing support for the in-house Senior Attorneys as directed. This role will support various business-related legal activities that could include commercial transaction, international trade, intellectual property, general corporate, regulatory, compliance, and litigation.
- Draft and negotiate purchase, sale, and joint development agreements
- Research and analyze various legal issues and provide recommendations
- Support M&A transactions including integration activity
- Collaborate with in-house attorneys and other groups across the company, including various operating company units, and corporate human resources
- Assist in representation of company in legal disputes
- Identify issues and advise client on structure and draft disclosure documents.
- Provide analysis and response to legislative developments
- Assist in providing training to the company on legal topics
- Assist in developing internal legal programs, as assigned
- Assist in regulatory affairs and compliance, as necessary
- Additional duties as assigned
Law Degree with a minimum five (5) years of combined previous experience in private practice and/or a corporate legal department.
- Solid analytical and research skills
- Great interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly organized
- Good communication skills and an ability to interact effectively with staff and operations personnel.
- An appreciation of business objectives and managerial problems.
- Ability to clearly translate into lay terms and effectively communicate the legal conditions which affect business opportunities and problems.
Desirable, but not required skills:
- Law firm experience
- Experience in healthcare legal practice
- Experience with International transactions
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]