Operational Excellence Manager
Schweitzer-Mauduit International, Inc. (NYSE: SWM) (“SWM” or “the Company”) is a publicly-traded, multinational, diversified engineered materials company which conducts business in over 90 countries and operates 24 production locations worldwide. Operating locations include the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Luxembourg, Brazil, China, Belgium and Poland. SWM operates in two business segments, Advanced Materials & Structures and Engineered Papers.
At SWM, we are focused on helping our customers succeed- it’s our mission and our passion.
We are proud to serve customers who make a world of difference in the markets they operate in, and the products they improve. Every day our papers, films, nets & nonwovens are used in a diverse range of applications and industries around the world.
We are problem solvers, innovators, and manufacturing experts.
Our employees share a passion for our products, customers, and the success of our organization. We generate the ideas, create the innovative solutions, manufacture the products and deliver the services that have made SWM a global leader for decades.
- Act as a change agent, systematically driving a continuous improvement culture.
- Lead and manage all standardized continuous improvement activities across the site, aligned with the AMS business system.
- Facilitate strategy deployment and goal deployment across all site functions and multiple value streams.
- Maintain a site-wide lean roadmap aimed at meeting site business goals and evolving the continuous improvement culture, with an ongoing focus on improving safety, productivity, quality, delivery and customer allegiance (external and internal).
- Champion, measure and report on site productivity savings to meet AOP goals.
- Lead hands-on, operations excellence for site leaders and associates, effectively training on and employing techniques such as daily management, standard work, problem solving, 3P/layout, cell design, material flow, TPM, SMED, 5S, and visual management.
- Identify and prioritize business opportunities for improvement.
- Identify internal and external best practices and share across SWM’s Advanced Materials and Structures (AMS) facilities.
- Lead site Operational Excellence steering committee
- Facilitate the development and maintenance of an ongoing improvement project funnel, being filled from all areas of the business
- Facilitate the ongoing development of a healthy cross-functional group of qualified practitioners and lean leaders
- Solid understanding of lean principle and lean technical/tools skills, project management experience and decision-making capability
- Working knowledge of multiple business functions, including operations, quality, logistics, finance, sales, customer service, engineering, IT and human resources
- Experience leading strategy deployment and goal deployment, and developing a site-side lean roadmap with demonstrated results
- Experience training and coaching a formal problem-solving methodology
- Proven track record leading and coaching a variety of kaizen teams with an emphasis on execution.
- Travel up to 25% domestically, may include some international travel.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a technical engineering discipline required with a minimum of 5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment and/or a combination of both education and experience. Master’s degree and Black belt certification preferred.
- Ability to influence cross-functional site leadership, with excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to build trust and respect across all levels of the business.
- Has demonstrated ability to effectively lead and manage change.
- Can apply a hands-on approach to solving challenges or problems.
- Advanced computer proficiency, particularly in Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- Advanced analytical and presentation skills.
- Is results-oriented, with a strong sense of urgency.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]