Senior Capital Engineer
We’re SWM. We’re Essential.
At SWM, we’ll never be okay with status quo. We are committed to raising standards, providing growth opportunities to our employees and giving our customers the answers, the value, and the edge they need to compete and win.
At SWM, Essential isn’t just what we make. It’s what we do.
Every day, our papers, films, and nets and nonwovens are used in a diverse range of products, applications and industries around the world. As experts in highly engineered materials made from fibers, resins and polymers, we provide solutions to make products stronger, more durable and with increased performance. From accessory materials for face shields and medical devices, to protective helmets for hospital workers, law enforcement and military, to support layers for filtration and Reverse Osmosis (RO) applications for clean drinking water – and much more, we are proud to serve customers who make a world of difference in the markets they operate in and the products they improve.
We have an opportunity for a Senior Capital Engineer in our Advanced Materials and Structures business.
This is a remote position but must be located near a major airport hub, ideally Minneapolis, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Detroit, Milwaukee, Newark (North New Jersey), Charlotte or Chicago.
The Senior Project Engineer improves the company's manufacturing processes through new equipment design, modification and implementing 3rd party solutions. The successful candidate possesses a wide range of mechanical component and system design experiences in industrial manufacturing or custom automation settings. This engineer role will serve North America facility project needs.
- Familiarizes with SWM process technologies, machinery configurations, product and customer requirements, operational norms, etc. as a basis for developing new or upgraded equipment solutions.
- Identifies opportunities for equipment improvements with an emphasis on process automation.
- Explores multiple alternatives to achieve productivity and performance objectives.
- Prepares capital proposals.
- Determines machinery requirements through deep investigation of available technologies and internal knowledge of similar equipment.
- Prepares factory acceptance test criteria for new equipment purchases.
- Obtains quotes for auxiliary equipment purchases, technical services, construction, installations and other purchased products or services needed to execute assigned projects.
- Designs cost effective mechanical designs using 3D CAD software. Designs will range from safety barrier and shielding design, to hard tooling (e.g., die head and manufacturing fixture design), to frame structure and bearing element designs.
- Manages end to end equipment projects from proposal development through procurement, commissioning, validation, product qualification, and production handover.
- Delivers periodic project status updates including budget, schedule, key decision, and risk assessments.
- Collaborates with the plant and engineering team to ensure satisfactory designs and implementation of projects.
- Stays current concerning new research, design methodology and investigates their potential applications.
- Domestic travel 50-60%.
- Adheres to SWM Guiding Principles, policies, and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local laws.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering. 5+ years of engineering and project management experience in a manufacturing environment. Experience with custom machinery design and automation will be highly valued.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Skilled as a collaborative team player with strong communications skills; experienced working remotely from other project team members
- Skilled applying fundamentals of engineering, mechanical design principles, and industrial control concepts in everyday projects.
- Knowledge in plastic extrusion manufacturing and media winding/spooling systems/automation is highly desired.
- Knowledgeable in machining (milling, turning, EDM) and forming (joining, bending, etc.) processes as they relate to design for cost and manufacturability.
- Familiar with industrial instrumentation with systems utilizing PLC’s (programmable logic controls).
- Skilled in communicating complex concepts using visual models and everyday explanations.
- Proficient using 3D modeling tools such as SolidWorks, Inventor, NX, etc.
- Experienced writing equipment and performance specifications for 3rd party procurement
- Experienced leading and managing projects.
- Skilled managing and maintaining company interests in vendor negotiations.
- Experienced designing to safety standards.
- Effective prioritization and time management skills.
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or other protected status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. SWM International is committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce, and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at SWM, please email our Talent Acquisition Team at [email protected]