Emergency Department Records Coordinator
The purpose of an Emergency Department Records Coordinator (EDRC) is to act as a coordinator for the timely and effective acquisition, detailed review, and reconciliation and processing of patient records necessary to produce a claim form or billing statement. This position is also responsible for building and maintaining positive relationships with key hospital personnel to include Medical Directors, HIM Directors, ED Nurse Manager/Director and providers.
- Obtain daily Emergency Department (ED) log and Emergency Department charts for review and reconciliation.
- Ensure all required documents are included in the ED chart for accurate coding and billing.
- Identify high acuity patient charts according to disposition status or ancillary services ordered.
- Review provider documentation for required elements needed for coding and billing ensuring more detailed review of high acuity charts.
- Identify patient charts that are non-billable and appropriately document on ED log.
- Reconcile patient charts to ED log ensuring all charts have been accounted for.
- Scan/import and transfer all logs and charts within required time frame.
- Ensure data quality and integrity of all communication and transmissions.
- Return deficient or incomplete patient charts to provider for completion within specified timeline and locate missing patient charts.
- Resolve all outstanding charts within required time frame.
- Submit Inpatient Emergency Response log and charts within required time frame.
- Communicate frequently with Medical Records Assistant Manager.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with providers and key hospital personnel.
- Attend and participate in departmental meetings as requested by Medical Director and/or Medical Record Assistant Manager.
- Responsible for obtaining completed Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) and needed documents.
- Assist in additional projects/requests by Medical Records Assistant Manager, as needed.
- Act as a liaison between ED providers and hospital HIM Departments.
- Assist in additional requests by SCP Health operational teams as approved by Medical Records Assistant Manager.
- Respond to patient inquiries regarding their bills by providing appropriate billing company customer service telephone number.
- Forward all business mail addressed to employer and/or providers, which may include insurance payments or requests for information, to the corporate office immediately.
- Attend required hospital training classes.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School diploma required
- Previous Medical Records and/or Medical Terminology experience preferred
- Basic computer and keyboarding skills required.
- Computer literate; able to learn software applications required to perform job duties.
- Ability to identify technical issues that arise and contact the appropriate personnel for support.
- Possess the maturity, sophistication and professional demeanor to interface with all levels of management, staff, and providers.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision.
- Excellent record of attendance within pre-arranged schedule.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Must also be able to read and interpret procedure manual.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Can interpret a variety of instructions in written and oral form.
- Possess minimum mathematical skills.