Under the direction of the Director of Real Estate and Development, the Director of Tribal Planning and Development (DTPD) must demonstrate a substantial economic analysis and feasibility background related to real estate projects, real estate management, land entitlements, building development, and project design and construction management background. The Real Estate Portfolio and Development program is composed of multiple corporate, investment and cultural assets and proposed development projects involving multiple managers, third party consultants, property/project control systems and administrative staff. The DTPD is responsible for aiding in the accomplishment of the goals of the Real Estate Division in the management of existing and future real estate assets, and the development, planning, design and execution of architectural and engineering capital projects for tribal real estate holdings and investment interests.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Director of Real Estate and Development and the Tribal Government in the evaluation, feasibility and economic viability of real estate investment, redevelopment or development projects
- Work closely with the Director of Real Estate and Development and the Tribal Government in the planning and management of proposed and existing development projects.
- Manage large, long range, multiple and concurrent diversified development projects.
- Manage real estate acquisitions, dispositions, capital real estate development, design and implementation of technical development projects and programs with sufficient skills to oversee multi-disciplinary consultative services in support of real estate and project development or real estate investment goals.
- Facilitate the effective communication of complex technical terms to an organizational team by providing direct oversight and management of meetings, approvals, budgets and schedules.
- Maintain strong lines of communication with the tribe, CAO, other managers, third party consultants and managers, partnership members, contractors, design consultants, etc., necessary to help ensure expedient and economic development delivery of real estate projects.
- Assist in maintaining the Real Estate Division budget and is directly responsible for effective management of assigned real estate operating and development project specific budgets and expenditures of real estate and development properties.
- Manage pre-qualifications, bid and negotiation processes.
- Review development/construction project specific Contract Agreements and Amendments for accuracy and adherence to concept standards.
- Manage change orders.
- Supervise the selection and management of third party management and consulting organizations.
- Direct and oversee the management of the timely review and payment of Pay Applications and Invoices.
- Responsible for reports to the Tribal Government – CAO and Tribal Chief Financial Officer (CFO) regarding the performance of the Real Estate Division relative to Budget, individual real estate asset or development project performance, division operations (financial accounting and document controls management), coordination with other Tribal departments and investment or development strategies.
- Responsible for coordination of various departments and senior management in the analysis of assigned real estate investment, disposition or development matters.
- Oversee the management of the preparation of requests for proposals and qualifications, contracts and contract negotiations, cost and schedule estimates, and estimations of workload to establish completion dates.
- Supervise the preparation of individual property and project estimates, budgets, cash-flow projections, and project cost controls, change orders and schedules for review and approval.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Minimum BS/BSCE Degree and/or license/registration or 15 years commensurate experience in minimum of three of the following: Real Estate Management, Architecture, Development, Engineering, Construction and Construction Management.
- Must be able to demonstrate direct property and program management oversight experience of multiple properties/projects in support of an owners program for real estate holdings, planning, design, development and construction.
- A history of management responsibilities for multiple projects and programs, concurrently, in excess of 50 million dollars must be demonstrated. A diverse background of project types is required.
- Knowledge of construction industry materials, methods, practices, and safety procedures; as well as knowledge of governmental regulations and building codes applicable to the commercial and residential design and construction environment.
- Knowledge of contracts including but not limited to; AIA 101Cma, 201, B141/Cma, A201Cma, A111 for Contractors, Architects and Consultants.
- Demonstrable evidence of excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrable experience in the management of multiple real estate assets and multiple development projects and oversight of direct subordinate managers, third party outsourced managers, brokers and other retained building or development consultants and support staff assigned.
- Comprehensive knowledge of real estate industry best practices, development entitlement procedures, development standards, construction materials and methods, AIA Contracts and ability to dispense advice through presentations, workshops, meetings, site visits, reports, and telephonic and electronic media is required.
- Proven experience in a variety of real estate and development disciplines that include: development partnerships, leasing, entertainment, hospitality, commercial, industrial, residential and institutional programs.
- Knowledge of:
- Real Estate investment principles, valuation and performance metric analysis.
- Real Estate development entitlement processing and management.
- Lease, purchase and sale transaction requirements and trending practices.
- Site/Civil infrastructure design and construction.
- Land and Real Estate planning requirements and directing a planning team.
- Financial reporting, profit and loss systems, analysis and budgeting capabilities.
- General Liability and Property Insurance programs for the ongoing operation and development or redevelopment of real estate assets or large scale programs.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational/experience requirements indicated above.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company’s insurance carrier.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.