The Water Distribution Operator II will perform a wide variety of skilled, intermediate level duties related to the monitoring, regulation, maintenance, operation and domestic water quality sampling of potable water distribution, transmission equipment and facilities throughout the San Manuel Indian Reservation. This position is assigned to perform the full range of journey-level duties including serving as the lead worker on small crews as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs the daily operation of the irrigation system.
- Collects water quality samples from distribution system; reviews analytical data to determine compliance with water quality standards and maximum contaminant levels (MCLs).
- Reads and record water meters; replaces water meters and meter box covers; install new water mains, meters, fire hydrants and mainline valves as necessary.
- Maintains system flushing program.
- Performs specialized work involving the installation, maintenance, repair, and inspection of water distribution, sewer system and irrigation components as well as, mains, pumps, and valves as required.
- Inspects and maintains hydrants, valves, pumps, motors and other related apparatuses in working order.
- Performs a variety of related welding, carpentry, pipe fitting, valve repair, asphalt work, and cement work.
- Excavates and backfills trenches and culverts.
- Drills and installs taps to mains.
- Performs and monitors emergency cleanup for spills of hazardous materials.
- Identifies and reports any aspects of utility and road conditions that could potentially impact environmental quality, safety of citizens or adjacent populations, or have any other adverse effect.
- Responds to Underground Service Alert notices and locates company underground lines using electronic equipment.
- Maintains daily and weekly work logs and maintenance files.
- Initiates purchase requisitions for materials and supplies.
- Participates in standby program; assist in emergency and special assignments with other tribal departments and with outside agencies and companies.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
The Water Distribution Operator II may also be responsible for the functional supervision of the Water Distribution Operator I in their day-to- day operations.
- High School Diploma or GED is required; Associates degree from accredited college or technical school in Water Quality or related field highly preferred.
- The equivalent of three (3) years of full-time increasingly responsible sub-professional engineering or water distribution systems operations.
- Extensive knowledge of water quality sampling techniques.
- Demonstrative knowledge of safety precautions and procedures used in water service work and cross connection control regulations.
- Experience involving the use of heavy equipment such as water trucks, tractor, backhoes, jack hammer, and a variety of hand tools is needed.
- Must be available and able to respond to emergencies at any time of day, year-round; regardless of weather conditions.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- A qualified candidate/employee must have a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record as determined by the company’s insurance carrier.
- Must possess a class “B” Driver’s License.
- Must possess a State of California DHS Distribution Operator Grade D2 certificate.
- Must be able to undergo and successfully pass pre-employment drug screening, criminal background investigation, and credit check.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.