*** This is a part time position***
The San Manuel Education Department strives to ensure the quality of overall educational services, programs, and initiatives provided to San Manuel Tribal Citizens. The Tutor acts as an after-school intervention specialist to provide instruction in all subject areas (language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, foreign language), with a focus on math and science. Works under the general supervision of the Assistant Director of Education, and will primarily assist students in grades 7-12.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists students with the completion of daily homework through one on one and group tutoring.
- Prepares and delivers curriculum for multi-aged, multi-subject instructional programs which cover academic preparation, academic skills building, and GED preparation.
- Assists in the planning, preparation and facilitation of cultural enrichment programs with the Assistant Director of Education, The Serrano Language Revitalization Project and the Cultural Awareness Committee .
- Assists in the planning, preparation and facilitation of the San Manuel Summer Academy and Leadership Academy.
- Prepares and delivers special lectures, discussions, and workshops on academic subject matters to increase students’ skills, knowledge, and competencies.
- Prepares and delivers additional lectures, discussions, and workshops such as citizenship, civics, career education, and life skills to holistically enrich students’ lives.
- Locates and organizes external resources for special workshops and programs for students.
- Provides instruction for use of basic computer technology.
- Creates and assembles materials needed for all academic and cultural enrichment instructional programs.
- Tests and grades students on academic skills, knowledge, and competencies.
- Tests and assesses students’ progress for GED.
- Consults with students regarding individual subject needs.
- Prepares and manages student performance tracking system.
- Schedules and facilitates parent conferences/Open House to discuss the student’s progress, development, strengths, and weaknesses.
- When requested by Tribal Parents, schedules and facilitates teacher conferences to discuss student’s progress, performance, development, and areas of improvement needed.
- Plans and chaperones fieldtrips for students.
- Plans and facilitates special events for the students and their families such as the Halloween Carnival, Christmas Party, and the College Fair.
- Assists the Assistant Director of Education in managing tutoring volunteers.
- Performs other duties as needed for the efficient operation of the department.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university.
- Minimum two (2) years of related experience preferred.
- Beginning to Intermediate foreign language preferred (Spanish and French).
- Multiple Subject Teaching credentials preferred.
- Supplemental credential in Math preferred.
- Experience in early childhood development and student enrichment services ideal.
- Knowledge of and experience with Indian Tribes preferred.
- As a condition of employment with the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians Education Department, incumbents are required to undergo and successfully pass pre-employment and annual post-employment background investigation including, but not limited to, Live-Scan fingerprinting, drug screening and criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with clean driving record as defined by the company’s insurance carrier.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.