Reporting to the Vice President of Talent Management, The Director of Talent Management will lead a team of HR Engagement Managers and Business Partners working to build an effective and inspired workforce. Working in collaboration with Human Resources (HR) and company leadership, the Director will implement corporate policies that directly impact San Manuel’s employees. In this role, the Director will facilitate organizational and performance development efforts, working with employees and managers to address root causes of HR issues. The Director will be responsible for a team whose charter is to resolve and measure employee relation issues through purposeful, systematic and metric-driven approaches. The incumbent will assist in the development of solutions through cultural and process perspective organizational development (OD). This high-profile position will oversee and participate in providing responses to inquiries, questions and complaints while guiding and directing HR programs, processes and practices. The Director works with HR specialty areas and leadership to provide implementation support for the development of updated or new programs. The successful candidate will be a business enabler promoting an accountability mindset and a culture of cultivating others by diagnosing gaps in execution and capability and advising on the redirection of human resources as business needs change.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as the lead liaison for addressing employee concerns, performance counseling and corrective action advice.
- Develop and implement best practices in employment investigations and employment risk mitigation.
- Teach, coach and assess HR Business Partners on effective HR business partner practices and competencies.
- Serve as the lead strategist, communicator and negotiator on all matters related to labor relations and collective bargaining at San Manuel.
- Provide solutions and communications between employees, management, other HR practice leaders and labor unions.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of our core talent processes benchmarking against internal and external best practices, and evolving processes to ensure they are meeting business needs and employment rules/regulations.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the area of federal and state employment law and ensure San Manuel’s policies, practices and procedures are compliant and reflect industry and geographic gold standard best practices
- Partner closely with other internal HR practice leaders to create and execute short- and long-term HR strategies to grow and develop San Manuel’s talent capabilities and stakeholders’ professional well-being.
- Lead workforce planning and improvement endeavors.
- Lead robust resource planning and talent development throughout all levels of the organization with a specific focus on our leadership and pipeline of high performing professional talent.
- Lead workforce planning and oversee the development of KPIs and metrics to analyze and assess the impact of effective talent management programs.
- Design and implement core talent processes to drive performance throughout the company, including onboarding, performance management, employee engagement, succession planning, leadership development, change management and off-boarding.
- Contribute to other duties as assigned to support the business needs of the department and organization.
Directs and supervises Human Resources Engagement Managers and Business Partners. The Director of Talent Management carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required. Juris Doctor or Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 15 years of relevant and progressive experience in HR, with minimum seven (7) years of experience in talent management required.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of specific Organizational Development experience implementing planned change processes in the organization.
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of degree requirement.
- Able to model HR Business Partner best practices, establish consistent performance expectations of team members and communicate practices and expectations with HR leadership.
- Must have experience in implementation of teaching and grooming team members to perform to HR best practices.
- Must have managed large and complex talent management programs of at least 4,000 FTEs.
- Mastery of intermediate Excel skills required.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership, guidance, collaboration and empowerment is a must.
- Must be diplomatic, compassionate and have a passion for people.
- Must have a proven track record of driving to business results.
- Must be a business leader that sees the strategic impact of a well-managed talent management program.
- Must be client-focused in cultivating the San Manuel Talent Management Program.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- SPHR preferred.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.