Reporting to the VP, Finance and Accounting, the Tribal Finance, Controller will build and lead a strong accounting and reporting team, processes and procedures and will ensure the timeliness and accuracy of all financial information required by the organization and regulators. Key responsibility areas will focus on: continuous improvement of the internal control environment, financial statement preparation and analysis as well as lead the highly strategic, tactical and hands-on implementation of financial and functional solutions. On a cross-functional basis, the Tribal Finance Controller will collaborate with other operational departments to optimize cost-efficient decisions.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The scope of responsibilities executed by the Tribal Finance, Controller department include, but are not limited to, the following: general ledger accounting, monthly closing & reporting process, fixed assets accounting, cash management accounting, tax accounting, lead and participate in the budgeting and forecasting processes as well as the internal and external audits.
- Ensure efficient transaction processing, and full disclosure. Provide support for Business Partners.
- Management of the monthly close process including completion and review of balance sheet account reconciliations, monthly accruals and cutoff procedures as well as consolidating San Manuel operating enterprises.
- Preparation and analysis of Consolidated Financial Statements, Entity Financial Statements, and Personal Financial Statements (if required) for all San Manuel operating enterprises.
- Ensure integrity of all relevant financial information.
- Maintain reporting and accounting as per regulatory and legal requirements
- Report timely financial information to executive management, CPA Firm and bank. Advise on implications of business issues and strategic decisions.
- Serve as a primary interface and support to outside auditors. Direct financial audits and provide recommendations for procedural improvements.
- Evaluate current operational practices and recommend improvements through systems’ efficiencies.
- Implementation of internal controls and ensuring compliance, including developing and maintaining Company policies and procedures, including the Company’s signature authority and travel and expense policies.
- Provides advice to management regarding the organization’s major financial objectives and management of fiscal policies.
- Assist VP, Finance and Accounting with the coordination and management of the Company’s insurance programs, including business insurance, workers compensation, and tribal citizen insurance.
- Assist in ERP and HRIS system implementation and related controls/processes development & implementation.
- Addressing and resolving technical accounting issues.
- Respond personally or through your direction to all tribal citizen inquiries to/for accounting and finance and insurance related matters in a timely manner.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is required.
- Master’s degree in Accounting or MBA highly preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years prior experience as Corporate Controller/VP Finance or CFO at a company of $500 Million+ in a multi-entity environment is required. Public accounting experience and/or public company experience is desirable.
- Financial audit and US GAAP compliant knowledge and experience required.
- Experience with accounting and reporting internally and externally for Partnerships, LLC’s and Government organizations.
- Experience with consolidations required.
- Demonstrated leadership, ability and aptitude for computer systems and spreadsheet analysis.
- Intermediate to advance user of integrated computerized accounting systems; Lawson experience a plus.
- Ability to supervise and maintain a variety of highly confidential accounting, finance, and administrative duties requiring a thorough knowledge of organizational procedures.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight time frames and simultaneously manage several projects.
- High level of integrity and flexibility, with a positive team oriented "can-do" attitude.
- Superior analytical and computer skills and strong attention to detail.
- Professional appearance and attitude.
- Possess significant professional knowledge.
- Demonstrated job stability.
- Willing to work overtime, especially at end of month/quarter/year.
- At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission, you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
- Certified Public Accounting (CPA) license.
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and San Manuel Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.