Optical Product Architect
The candidate architect will create detailed product concepts & architectures for optical transceivers. Products will combine tradeoffs and considerations in mechanical, thermal & optical designs which meet performance specification and which are manufacturable in volume at market-compatible cost targets. The candidate will have a fundamental understanding of the trade-offs in various engineering disciplines and a vision of products which will meet challenging customer requirements. The Architect will have access to electro-optical components & integrated circuits, as well as in-house expertise in 3D field simulation signal integrity to support detailed product design. They will work with manufacturing people to choose production equipment and assembly/test processes. They will prepare presentations to management and team engineers which require justification of the architectural choices and the manufacturing approach to achieve production throughput, cost & yield.
- Create new product concepts and architectures, especially mechanical, thermal and optical designs.
- Oversee evaluations of viability of technical concepts and proposals.
- Engineering leadership and technical project management.
- Lead new product designs and developments.
- Lead design reviews: mechanical, thermal, optical, electronic, manufacturability, cost.
- Create and execute technical project management plans. This includes people/team direction and schedule management.
- Collaborate with other design centers and manufacturing locations. Direct status meetings with design and manufacturing teams.
- Collaborate with Application Engineering to resolve product technical issues during and after customer design-in.
- Meet new market needs and requirements. Provide technical support to strategic new product road-map discussions and existing product enhancements.
- 15+ years of experience in (multi-lane) optical transceiver product design & engineering with transition to volume manufacturing. Success with at least two generations of transceiver or active optical cable product design.
- Masters Degree or greater in Mechanical Engineering or Physics (Optics).
- Hands-on competence with mechanical, thermal and optical design of miniature optical transceivers with integrated electrical/optical connectors, including fluency in CAD design/simulations and sensitivity analysis.
- Hands-on experience with component assemblies through the new product introduction cycle for volume applications. Such products must have included:
- CAD design of miniature high-dissipation microwave substrates, optical alignments, and flip-chip mounting of integrated circuits.
- Strong understanding of material science.
- Personality fit: collaborative, customer focused, decisive but good listener.
- U.S. Citizen or Green Card.
SAMTEC, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating a diverse environment. All employment decisions at Samtec are based in business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, pregnancy or parental status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity/expression, marital status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable laws.