Optical Product Architect
The candidate architect will create detailed product concepts & architectures for optical transceivers. Products will combine tradeoffs and considerations in mechanical, thermal & optical designs which meet performance specification and which are manufacturable in volume at market-compatible cost targets. The candidate will have a fundamental understanding of the trade-offs in various engineering disciplines and a vision of products which will meet challenging customer requirements. The Architect will have access to electro-optical components & integrated circuits, as well as in-house expertise in 3D field simulation signal integrity to support detailed product design. They will work with manufacturing people to choose production equipment and assembly/test processes. They will prepare presentations to management and team engineers which require justification of the architectural choices and the manufacturing approach to achieve production throughput, cost & yield.
- Create new product concepts and architectures, especially mechanical, thermal and optical designs.
- Oversee evaluations of viability of technical concepts and proposals.
- Engineering leadership and technical project management.
- Lead new product designs and developments.
- Lead design reviews: mechanical, thermal, optical, electronic, manufacturability, cost.
- Create and execute technical project management plans. This includes people/team direction and schedule management.
- Collaborate with other design centers and manufacturing locations. Direct status meetings with design and manufacturing teams.
- Collaborate with Application Engineering to resolve product technical issues during and after customer design-in.
- Meet new market needs and requirements. Provide technical support to strategic new product road-map discussions and existing product enhancements.
- 15+ years of experience in (multi-lane) optical transceiver product design & engineering with transition to volume manufacturing. Success with at least two generations of transceiver or active optical cable product design.
- Masters Degree or greater in Mechanical Engineering or Physics (Optics).
- Hands-on competence with mechanical, thermal and optical design of miniature optical transceivers with integrated electrical/optical connectors, including fluency in CAD design/simulations and sensitivity analysis.
- Hands-on experience with component assemblies through the new product introduction cycle for volume applications. Such products must have included:
- CAD design of miniature high-dissipation microwave substrates, optical alignments, and flip-chip mounting of integrated circuits.
- Strong understanding of material science.
- Personality fit: collaborative, customer focused, decisive but good listener.
- U.S. Citizen or Green Card.