At the Samsung Strategy and Innovation Center (SSIC), we discover and develop groundbreaking technologies to help people around the world lead happier, healthier, richer lives.
Founded in 2012 and led by Samsung Electronics President and Chief Strategy Officer, Young Sohn, SSIC works with entrepreneurs and strategic partners to foster disruptive technologies, invest in promising startups, and build new business lines through M&A and strategic partnerships. Our work spans across a range of technologies, including artificial intelligence, autonomous mobility, digital health, Internet of Things, cloud data infrastructure, privacy, and security.
Through our commitment to developing innovative, reliable products and services, recruiting top-tier talent, upholding the responsibilities of global citizenship, and collaborating with our partners and customers, SSIC is imagining the technologies that will reshape the world.
SSIC has offices in Menlo Park and San Jose, California, with additional locations in Paris, France; Tel Aviv, Israel; and Seoul, South Korea.
The Samsung ID8 Innovation Lab is an interdisciplinary team of makers focused on exploring and developing new product concepts predicated on next generation technologies. We combine design with emerging technologies (such as edge computing, machine learning, IoT, and computer vision to name a few) to imagine and invent new experiences and services for customers.
ID8 is a part of the CTO Office at SSIC, based in San Jose, CA.
- Spearhead and drive design research efforts to help inform our product strategy across multiple initiatives.
- Design studies to help the lab test hypotheses, and generate new knowledge and insights.
- Conduct both qualitative and quantitative research spanning domain studies, competitive analysis, need finding, user interviews, and usability testing.
- Lead the design team in the analyses and synthesis of each research effort.
- Extract actionable insights from these studies to help drive our projects in a lean and data-informed manner.
- Develop new processes and frameworks to help build up the lab’s research capabilities and culture.
- Exchange constructive feedback and critique with teammates to help one another grow individually and collectively into a stronger whole.
- Support the lab as an expert resource in the field of design research.
- BS, or MS in a design / HCI / research related field preferred.
- A strong track record of successfully driving and conducting design research in tech.
- Mid to senior level of experience in the field of design research.
- Knowledge of full stack product design: familiarity with processes, lean techniques, and how these apply to research.
- Familiarity with some design tools such as Sketch, Illustrator, and Excel / Airtable.
- The ability to present your findings, as well as effectively articulate and document your recommendations, and the data and reasoning that supports them.
- Ability to self-manage and take the initiative, as well as thrive as a team player.
- You consider yourself a “maker”: you love to be hands on with your work, and have a love of learning, an insatiable curiosity.
- Experiences delivering research that resulted in the shipping of products in the Consumer Electronics domain, including devices and services (robotics, security products, etc.).