Planning and Decision-Making, Mobile Robotics
At the Samsung Strategy and Innovation Center (SSIC), we discover and develop groundbreaking technologies to help people around the world lead happier, healthier, richer lives.
Founded in 2012 and led by Samsung Electronics President and Chief Strategy Officer, Young Sohn, SSIC works with entrepreneurs and strategic partners to foster disruptive technologies, invest in promising startups, and build new business lines through M&A and strategic partnerships. Our work spans across a range of technologies, including artificial intelligence, autonomous mobility, digital health, Internet of Things, cloud data infrastructure, privacy, and security.
Through our commitment to developing innovative, reliable products and services, recruiting top-tier talent, upholding the responsibilities of global citizenship, and collaborating with our partners and customers, SSIC is imagining the technologies that will reshape the world.
SSIC has offices in Menlo Park and San Jose, California, with additional locations in Paris, France; Tel Aviv, Israel; and Seoul, South Korea.
Overview & Impact:
The Samsung Advanced Innovation Lab at Samsung Strategy (SAIL) and Innovation Center (SSIC) is seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our Autonomous Mobility R&D group. In this team, you will be responsible for creating cutting-edge technologies that enhance the ability of smart mobile machines to efficiently understand and navigate complex real-world environments. You will also work on efficient software and hardware implementations on current and/or upcoming Samsung product platforms.
- Develop technologies in the domain of navigation, motion planning, and control to be integrated in upcoming Samsung products.
- Design, patent, and publish novel algorithms that enable advanced features in Samsung products.
- Realize robust implementations of your work in prototype systems.
- Work with other researchers and engineers to integrate and test your work in a functioning robotic platform.
- Collaborate in a cross-disciplinary team highly talented technologists and business strategists to create high impact technology.
- Expert knowledge in two or more of the following areas (and a desire to become an expert in all of them):
- Analysis of linear and nonlinear differential equations.
- Linear algebra, linear operators, and vector spaces.
- Control theory and signal processing.
- Convex and nonconvex optimization - modeling techniques and algorithms.
- Scientific computing and numerical analysis.
- Discrete optimization and graph algorithms.
- Formal languages and model checking.
- Advanced algorithm analysis and design techniques (e.g. approximations of NP hard problems and randomized algorithms).
- Ability to apply basic algorithm design principles to practical problems (e.g. divide and conquer and dynamic programming).
- Excellent programming skills in C/C++ and python. Recent graduates may be asked to provide a portfolio of relevant software projects, class project reports, or technical publications for assessment.
- Knowledge of software development tools (e.g. git, gdb, cmake, gprof).
- Ability to follow good development practices that comes with working on complex systems with a large team.
- Ability to communicate specifications and interfaces with other team members.
- 3 or more years of industry experience working on large software projects requiring close collaboration with many people.
- Experience with automated regression testing frameworks and test design practices.
Education /Experience Requirements:
- S. or Ph.D. with a focus on robotics, control theory, computer science, or related scientific discipline.