FPGA Engineer Intern
FPGA Engineer Intern
Summer 2020 internship applications are open November 2019 through January 2020. Samsung Semiconductor summer internships start in May/June 2020.
Join us for a unique 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development. You’ll work with the teams that create new computing system architectures needed to support emerging machine learning applications, internet of things (IoT) and edge computing that benefit millions of users. This program will give you the opportunity work on complex solutions to that address some of the world’s most complex technological challenges.
Based in San Jose, California, Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. (SSI) is a multi-billion dollar subsidiary of Samsung Electronics, Ltd. and a world leader in Memory, System LSI and LCD technologies. We provide the widest range of memory, logic, storage devices, LED components and LCD/OLED panels to enhance the user experience in home entertainment, mobile devices, lighting and computing. SSI has advanced R&D labs focused on product design and research in memory, displays, logic, image sensors, and mobile technologies.
The System Architecture Lab (SAL) is part of Samsung’s Memory Business Unit, the industry's technology and volume leader in DRAM, NAND Flash, SRAM memory. The vision of SAL is to be the engine of technology inspiration and renovation for Samsung semiconductor. Especially, SAL is tackling a variety of challenging issues in data center, server, and software infrastructure. SAL is operated like a start-up under Samsung umbrella. We are looking for most passionate and talented engineers who can share our visions and have a journey together.
We are currently looking for a FPGA Engineer (Intern) to join our team in San Jose, CA starting in the summer of 2020. The FPGA Engineer (Intern) will contribute memory and storage system research in the Memory Solutions Lab. He or she will join a team of experts in researching and developing innovative memory and storage system solutions that utilize existing and emerging technologies to add substantial value to storage systems. The ideal candidate must have a strong understanding of FPGA, computer architecture, or storage systems.
- Implement proof-of-concept of proximity computing
- Compare the performances with different architectural options.
- Analyze performance bottleneck and propose new architecture and storage systems.
- Work with team members to contribute towards prototyping efforts.
- Create new and useful IP, publish at conferences, and generate white papers.
- Pursuing an MS or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field, with focus on Storage or Computer Architecture.
- Good knowledge of FPGA RTL/HLS programming
- Good knowledge of data analytic framework such as Spark
- Research and development experience with high-level systems like OS, database, machine learning
- Track record of innovation and creativity in problem solving
- Must be highly motivated with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong background in C/C++ programming
- Inherent technical curiosity
- Comfortable working in a multinational environment and understands how to leverage cultural diversity
- Prior experience with performance analysis and optimization