Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. (DSA) is a world leader in Semiconductor Memory, Logic, Storage, and Display technologies. The markets in which we compete are going through a once-in-a-generation shift that will have a profound impact on our businesses. A wide range of emerging applications, from AI to autonomous driving are redefining who our customers are, the products we sell, and the way we go to market.
To help guide Samsung’s semiconductor and display businesses through these changing times we have created a US-based strategic planning team. This new team, reporting directly to the President of the Americas, is charged with sensing new opportunities and threats, and leading cross-functional teams to define how Samsung Semiconductor will respond. This dynamic team also manages U.S. R&D, University Relations, and operations for both Sales & Marketing and R&D.
As Manager of Strategic Planning, you will be required to wear many hats and move quickly between a wide variety of exciting, complex, and impactful projects that span strategic planning, corporate development, business development, and operations.
- Strategy & Business development (40%)
- Understand and shape the company’s strategy and mission
- Develop plans to materialize strategy and analyze business proposals
- Lead or participate in cross-functional DSA task forces to determine strategy for increasing business growth where responsibilities may include some or all of:
- Market sizing- characterize size of various market segments with market data collections
- Competitive analysis- analyze competitors within product markets to determine their strengths, and weaknesses
- Gaps analysis- identify gaps between market needs and Samsung capabilities
- Make vs. Buy/Partner analysis- determine best method for closing the gaps e.g. internal development, partner, invest, license, Joint Venture, M&A, etc.
- Business operations (40%)
- Perform activities which are shared globally and across the business organization and to address urgent internal and external tasks and to support top management activities
- Support and Assist events as required by top management
- Identifies and perform financial related activities by comparing and analyzing actual results with plans and forecasts.
- Coordinate and maintain Research Institution subscriptions
- Organize and execute CSR budget planning
- Market Intelligence & Sensing (20%)
- Meet with VC and start-up companies to identify new trends, competitor activities, and partners for DSA R&D projects
- Maintain relationships with local venture capitalists (internal and external) to secure solid flow of candidates and information
- Create and maintain a map of industry trends and companies related to each trend
- Prioritize segments of the trend map for deeper strategic analysis
- Work with R&D and project planning teams to build business cases for current or emerging products
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business related
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, and bias toward action
- Understanding of market research and data analysis
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous experience in corporate strategy, corporate development, business development, management consulting, venture capital, or investment banking
- Experience creating executive or board-level presentation materials
- Basic working knowledge of semiconductor products e.g. DRAM, NAND, CPU, application processors, CMOS image sensors, OLED displays
- Bilingual Korean and English
Samsung Semiconductor Inc (SSI), an equal opportunity employer, is a world leader in Memory, System LSI, and LCD technologies. Headquartered in San Jose, California, SSI is a wholly-owned U.S. subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.- the second largest semiconductor manufacturer in the world and the industry's volume and technology leader in DRAM, NAND Flash, SSDs, mobile DRAM and graphics memory. It is one of the largest providers of system logic, imaging and LED lighting solutions, as well as providing advanced process design and manufacturing for fabless companies. Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. also has a research and innovation center with numerous labs providing product design and research in: logic, memory, image sensors, displays and mobile technologies. In addition, the company supports Samsung Display Company, the largest producer of LCD and OLED displays.
Click here to visit our Samsung Semiconductor Career Page
A day in the life Samsung Video