Manager or Associate Manager, Corporate Development (Automotive/Mobility)
At the Samsung Strategy and Innovation Center (SSIC), we discover and develop groundbreaking technologies to help people around the world lead happier, healthier, richer lives.
Founded in 2012 and led by Samsung Electronics President and Chief Strategy Officer, Young Sohn, SSIC works with entrepreneurs and strategic partners to foster disruptive technologies, invest in promising startups, and build new business lines through M&A and strategic partnerships. Our work spans across a range of technologies, including artificial intelligence, autonomous mobility, digital health, Internet of Things, cloud data infrastructure, privacy, and security.
Through our commitment to developing innovative, reliable products and services, recruiting top-tier talent, upholding the responsibilities of global citizenship, and collaborating with our partners and customers, SSIC is imagining the technologies that will reshape the world.
SSIC has offices in Menlo Park and San Jose, California, with additional locations in Paris, France; Tel Aviv, Israel; and Seoul, South Korea.
Team Overview & Impact:
Under President Sohn’s leadership, SSIC has led Samsung’s increased presence in the automotive market, including the $8B acquisition of Harman (closed 2017) and numerous investments in automotive tech startups (including establishing $300M Samsung Automotive Innovation Fund and $90M investment in TTTech Auto). In this role, reporting to the Director of Automotive M&A/Strategy, you will support strategy development for existing automotive assets across Samsung and play a key role evaluating and executing new automotive initiatives (including acquisitions, strategic investments, and similar transactions). This position is a hybrid of corporate development (internal M&A team) and corporate strategy (internal management consulting). This role is on a small team with a broad mandate, presenting an opportunity to have substantial impact on Samsung’s strategy and M&A in automotive / mobility tech.
- Leading and developing “thesis” and recommendations for corporate development projects in automotive, spanning from overall corporate-level strategy to M&A
- Lead and support M&A deal execution across the deal lifecycle including identification and evaluation of targets, financial modeling and pro forma financial statement development, business valuation, due diligence, negotiations, deal structuring, execution, and post-close integration/monitoring; attend conferences and industry events to identify inorganic opportunities, develop relationships, and understand market activities / trends
- Developing market intelligence and insights on key automotive industry trends, including market size & opportunity, business model, technology, IP, competitors and customers, as well as competitor strategic activities and their strategic implications to Samsung
- Synergy realization (for prior M&A) and portfolio management (for prior investments)
- 3-6 years or equivalent prior work experience at an investment banking or strategy consulting firm (ideally, serving auto/mobility clients), tech focused VC/PE firm or corporate development/strategy role at a major tech, automotive or mobility services company
- BS / BA / MS in Finance, Business, Economics, Engineering or Science, excellent academic track record
- Demonstrable familiarity and knowledge of emerging technologies relevant to automotive / mobility, ideally with experience in ADAS / AD and/or connected car
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, humble and intellectually curious
- Outstanding slideware architect: You are skilled at distilling key messages and data points into actionable recommendations for senior executives
- Excellent business & finance acumen with exceptional financial modeling skills and practical knowledge of financial statements
- Strong written and oral communication stills, comfortable presenting your analysis and recommendations to senior executives and peers
- Attention to detail
- High ethical standards