Sr. Staff Storage SoC Design Architect
JOB TITLE: Sr. Staff SoC Design Architect
Requisition ID: DSA32514
Samsung Semiconductor, Inc. is a world leader in Memory, System LSI and LCD technologies. We are currently looking for exceptional Senior Staff SoC Design Architect to join our team in San Jose, CA.
The Technology Enabling and Development (TED) Lab is part of Samsung’s Memory Business Unit, the industry's technology and volume leader in DRAM, NAND Flash, and SRAM memory. TED has the charter to develop SSD for enterprise customers. More recently, TED has also been tasked to develop SSD controller architecture to support future enterprise SSD designs. We are an integral part of Samsung’s strong R&D focus & lab innovation engine. We work closely with development teams across geographically distributed sites to bring innovation to enterprise SSD product road maps.
The Candidate will be a key technical member of TED Controller Architecture Team. He or she will join a team of experts in researching and developing innovative data center/cloud networking, storage, and compute ASIC/FPGA and system solutions. The ideal candidate must have prior experience developing architecture and design of leading edge networking, storage, embedded computing ASIC and/or FPGA.
- Research architectural trade-offs of enterprise storage controller ASIC
- Write and maintain High Level/Microarchitecture Architecture Specification
- Research emerging technology NVMe/NVMe-oF standards, interconnects and map to optimal implementation in FPGA/ASIC and help develop new IP for high performance and optimal lower enterprise SSD’s.
- Analyze storage workloads to identify performance bottlenecks and opportunities
- Collaborate with RTL team for product development and exploration in new Storage Controller ASIC for enterprise market
- Perform self-guided performance simulation studies of design alternatives
- Work collaboratively with the team responsible for SoC level system modeling to explore new SoC architectures
- The successful applicant may also engage in creating innovative storage accelerator solutions and analyzing them to demonstrate the benefits and trade-offs
- Work with other hardware/software architects developing one of a kind innovative Enterprise Storage Controllers and FPGA prototypes, contribute to feasibility studies & developing solutions
- Propose and execute on innovations in software and hardware storage controller architecture based on their benefits to large-scale enterprise applications.
- B.S. with 15 years, M.S. with 13 years or Ph.D. with 10 years in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering and at least 8 years of SoC design and architecture experience.
- Extensive experience with ARM microprocessor, interconnect, memory, Ethernet networking, and storage SoC systems architecture
- Demonstrated record of designing and delivering complex and high performance hardware SoC systems and high density storage using flash
- Exposure and understanding of storage workloads and benchmark performance
- Experience in NVMe/NVMe-oF controller architecture. Solid experience in PCIe and NVMe interfacing and understanding of I/O protocols
- Experience analyzing storage workloads
- Storage interfaces and protocols: PCIe, NVMe, NVMe-oF
- Network interfaces and protocols: Ethernet, RoCE v1/v2, Infiniband
- Flash technology: Toggle, ONFI, FTL
- Familiarity with all aspects of hardware development: requirements, modeling, RTL design, firmware, and prototyping. Work with design, verification, physical design, and qualification teams to address architectural issues
- Previous hands-on experience writing detailed SoC micro-architecture specifications and implementation details for SoC block. Provide architectural guidance throughout the design process from concept through production. Arrive at a detailed definition of blocks in SoC in coordination with other Architects and Design engineers in the team
- A strong knowledge through academic coursework or experience in NAND memory systems, as well as other memory types
- Platform level architectures and performance. Strong exposure to performance analysis and design tradeoffs. Strong working knowledge of architecture tradeoff analysis and modeling tools, commercial and in-house. Exposure to SW development practices
- Must be highly motivated with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to be highly organized and self-motivated
- Must be a strong individual contributor as well as a team player
- Ability to meet aggressive project deadlines in a team environment
- Ability to work successfully with cross-functional teams, including coordinating across organizational boundaries and geographies.
- Ability to create near term value within a strategic research environment.
- Comfortable working in a multinational environment and understands how to leverage cultural diversity
A day in the life Samsung Video: http://bit.ly/1saHOGu
Click here to visit our Samsung Semiconductor Career Page