Director of Accounting
Risk Management Solutions (RMS) is the world's leading provider of mathematical models and information related to the financial impact of natural catastrophes.
We use a combination of observed data, reanalysis data, numerical, statistical, and engineering models and data assimilation. We are the pioneers in the development and application of complex statistical and numerical modelling methods for the quantification of natural hazard risk, and our risk models are the most detailed and comprehensive models of natural catastrophes produced anywhere in the world.
Our clients include several hundred insurance and reinsurance companies as well as brokers, banks, hedge funds, regional and local governments, and multilateral agencies.
The RMS accounting team is looking for an energetic, pro-active individual who can support the general ledger and financial reporting functions of the company. The Director of Accounting will be a key player in the accounting close and reporting process. The ideal candidate is a self- motivated, pro-active, results-oriented professional with the ability to work with minimal instructions. The primary focus of this role will be on directing and leading accounting teams in the development, implementation, and oversight of company-wide accounting policies and procedures to ensure compliance with IFRS and other regulations. The role is also expected to lead and mentor a team of accounting professionals, who are responsible for timely and accurate financial reporting
- Provide leadership required to strengthen and grow the accounting team, with a commitment to recruiting, training, and mentoring
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of reporting; oversee the preparation and communication of the monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements that comply with public company requirements
- Identify key risks and implement internal controls to effectively manage and mitigate risks and improve the operations of the business
- Maintain of effective internal controls and appropriate accounting procedures
- Play a leading role in company-wide projects that impact the Accounting department, including system implementation, M&A integration and policy setting
- Leverage technology to build scalable and sustainable processes to create efficiencies, streamline accounting operations in an increasingly complex environment, improve the employee experience, and support the company's growth
- Manage optimization of the month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close processes to ensure timely and accurate reporting
- Collaborate with FP&A and other business partners on the preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reports for internal and external audiences
- Lead preparation for and management of our external audits, as well as other ad hoc audit activities
- Manage relationship and reporting matters with external auditors to resolve complex accounting and auditing matters
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Accounting; CPA and Big 4 Public Accounting experience preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in technical accounting, including 5 years of relevant management
- Strong leadership skills and proactive problem-solving approach
- Deep understanding of IFRS or US GAAP; demonstrated ability to apply guidance to real-world issues
- Experience in writing complex technical accounting position papers
- Strategic thinking and leadership experience with an emphasis on relationship management and interacting with all levels within an organization as well as with external auditors
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented self-starter; ability to work independently and collaborate to meet deadlines; effectively work with team to expedite completion of critical projects
- Collaborative business partner, adept in building cross-functional relationships to drive results
- Ability to inspire action and coordinate simultaneous initiatives
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to develop and mentor staff
- Proven track record in driving projects and process improvement initiatives
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and Power Point
There is a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we are on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1,000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead – and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
California Consumer Privacy Act notice: https://www.rms.com/legal#Privacy-Policy-ccpa
US Applicants: RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to using our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.