Sr. Scientific Content Analyst
The Models and Data Content Experience team plans, coordinates, authors, delivers, and maintains scientific content that communicates complex and evolving science to a diverse audience. Our content supports our market-leading risk modeling and risk data applications and builds loyalty and trust with users.
We are looking for a Senior Scientific Content Analyst to join our team to create professional content that promotes, describes, and analyzes the global suite of RMS peril models for a wide audience of current and prospective users. If you have a genuine interest in business applications of science and engineering, catastrophe modeling, data visualization, and scientific communication, this is an exciting opportunity for you.
In this role, you will interact with our users to understand their content needs, and collaborate with individuals across multiple teams and business units. You will gain experience across a wide range of functions, including planning and managing content creation projects, writing, editing, visualizing data, and conducting user research. In addition, you will become educated in RMS modeling methodologies and results across the full global range of perils and geographies, and will have numerous opportunities to apply your expertise in an ever-expanding suite of offerings.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a demonstrated ability to communicate complex scientific concepts to a technical but non-specialist audience via written and visual content. You will be thorough, detail-oriented, innovative, flexible, and comfortable working with highly-technical, cross-functional, multinational teams in a fast-paced environment. You will show bias for action with a proven record of delivering high-quality outcomes of value to customers while meeting deadlines. If you’re ready to make a difference to RMS and its customers, we would love to talk to you.
In this role, you will:
- Coordinate, author, edit, and publish technical model content across the global suite of RMS peril models
- Plan and coordinate complex model content projects involving multiple contributors and stakeholders across various departments and time zones to meet critical project milestones and deadlines
- Design and maintain online libraries of model content
- Establish and implement a data visualization strategy to communicate complex scientific concepts via innovative and creative methods
- Innovate our capabilities to deliver technical content to an expanding audience of users
- Conduct research to understand, prioritize, and create content to suit user requirements for RMS models and data products
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a suitable field including Science, Geoscience, Environmental Science, Atmospheric Science, Risk Science, Geography, Engineering, English, Technical Communication, Journalism, or Marketing
- 2 or more years of relevant work experience in scientific writing, catastrophe risk modeling, or data visualization, or a relevant postgraduate or research experience
- Experience delivering highly technical and specialized content to SME audience
- Ability to use scientific and industry concepts and terms fluently and accurately
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to organize, analyze, visualize and display information to discover and illustrate trends and patterns
- Experience in using suitable authoring environments to author, edit and format professional, publication-quality scientific content, such as any of the following: Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Adobe Applications, Madcap Flare, etc.
- Skills to self-initiate and independently project manage a deliverable end-to-end
Advantageous Skills and Qualifications
- Relevant post-graduate qualification or experience that includes 3-5 years experience in managing, writing or editing high-quality scientific digital content (e.g., for a reputable scientific journal or scientific organization), or producing data visualizations to communicate complex scientific concepts in visual format
- Proficiency in programming languages (e.g. R or Python) and using programming to automate data visualization
- Proficiency in using GIS applications to create high-quality maps to display patterns in large or complex datasets e.g., ArcGIS or QGIS
- Experience developing content with a Headless CMS is a plus.
- Experience applying branded style guidelines to content
- Experience using data analytics solutions to understand how customers engage with content and prioritize content opportunities to define a 10-star customer experience
Risk Management Solutions, Inc. (RMS) models and solutions help insurers, financial markets, corporations, and public agencies evaluate and manage global risk throughout the world. RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, with products and models covering six continents.
We lead an industry that we helped to pioneer—catastrophe risk modeling – and continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced the launch of RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open, flexible and future-proof platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation and portfolio management.
Insurers, reinsurers, trading companies, and other financial institutions trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage the risks of natural and human-made catastrophes, including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, terrorism, and pandemics.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.