Senior Software Development Engineer
Senior Software Development Engineer (Job 20380)
About the Team – AppX Platform Services Team
Our team focuses on building platform level backend services and compute intensive batch jobs to analyze and process risk.
About the Org – AppExperience (AppX) Org
RMS App Experience group is revolutionizing a $1 trillion global industry through a design-centric approach to problem solving and app development. Our software solutions help customers better understand and manage risk events like natural catastrophes, terrorism and cyber threats to create a more resilient and sustainable global society. RMS cutting-edge risk management platform enables our clients to discover, consume and share Petabytes of risk modeling and analytics data to produce business-critical insights in seconds. Our applications deliver state-of-the-art user experiences at scale, and we are looking for top technologists and leaders to join our team.
About the Role – Senior Software Development Engineer
RMS is looking for engineers who are excited and passionate about tackling complex leading-edge software engineering challenges, processing large amounts of data at runtime within the context of a highly analytical, model-based computation framework. We are looking to solve incredibly challenging business and science real-world problems that will have real impact.
We are building a new system from the ground-up that:
- is a highly scalable, elastic, cloud-based SaaS offering that performs detailed risk analyses
- is based on open source technologies (such as Apache Spark, Apache Parquet) and Cloud-based technologies (such as Amazon S3, Amazon EKS, Amazon Aurora and Snowflake) and leverages the latest advances in database tools, vector processing, hardware-based acceleration techniques, and geographic visualization tools
- utilizes a unique Big Data approach scaling to massive sizes over time, large scale distributed data processing technology, and best-in-class virtualization technology
Required Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or similar
- 7+ years of professional programming experience with a proven track record of on-time delivery
- Experience writing production code in Java
- Experience contributing throughout the Software Development Life Cycle experience including planning, designing, development, unit testing, other testing and debugging
- Experience selecting and utilizing appropriate data structures and algorithms to create running programs
- Experience designing and developing APIs
- Experience designing and developing microservices
- Experience using object relational databases such as PostgreSQL or Aurora
- Experiencing using a distributed version-control system such as Git
- Experience using build automation tools such as Maven or Gradle
- Demonstrable understanding of analytic computing
- Apparent passion for solving software engineering problems
- Effective communication skills, with a demonstrable ability to convey complex ideas to others in a concise and clear manner
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- 9+ years of professional programming experience
- Experience writing production code in Scala or Java
- Experience in agile development
- Strong mathematical background, including statistics and numerical analysis
- Experience with data access and computing in highly distributed cloud systems
- Experience with high concurrency via multi-threaded programming
- Experience with performance measurement, bottleneck analysis, and resource usage monitoring
- Experience with columnar data stores such as S3, Redshift, Cassandra, Athena, or Parquet
- Experience with big data technologies like Spark, Snowflake, Elasticsearch or HDFS
- Experience with containerization technologies such as Docker or Kubernetes
- Experience demonstrating understanding and consideration for memory management
There’s a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we’re on a mission to help make every risk known.
Insurers, reinsurers, investors, financial institutions, governments, and NGOs trust RMS solutions to better understand and manage catastrophe risks. RMS was founded in 1989 by Stanford scientists who created our first model for California Earthquake. Today, RMS has some 1,300 employees across 13 offices in the US, London, Bermuda, Zurich, India, China, Japan, Singapore, and Australia, and over 1,000 products and models now covering six continents.
RMS helped pioneer the natural catastrophe model market we now lead – and we continue to innovate. In May 2019, we announced RMS Risk Intelligence™ (RI), an open-standard platform for strategic risk management. Through this purpose-built platform, clients can tap into RMS HD models, rich data layers, intuitive applications and APIs that simply integrate into existing enterprise systems to support business decisions across underwriting, risk selection, mitigation, and portfolio management.
How we understand and manage risk affects everyone and our passion is nothing less than creating a more resilient world through a better understanding of catastrophic events. Join our team of leading scientists, developers, industry experts, and world-class professionals. Together, RMSers make a difference on a truly global scale.
RMS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.
To all recruitment agencies: RMS does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be responsible for the payment of placement fees related to unsolicited resumes submitted to open positions, job aliases, or to our employees.
California Consumer Privacy Act notice: https://www.rms.com/legal#Privacy-Policy-ccpa
US Applicants: RMS is enrolled in E-Verify® and will be participating in E-Verify in addition to using our Form I-9 process. www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.